Turbo back from bodyworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumturbo View Post
    Jeff, I have to say you have done a fantastic job there. Didn't realise you were carrying out a near full restoration!!! Looks fantastic!! Our cars will be a good representation of the marque...yours the epitomy of originality, mine the victim of subtle modification...and open for critisism from the purists
    Must say, the suspension does look a touch high, but it does look similar to one of the press release photo's in 'What Car' I think, so I bet the torque steer will be original too!!
    Need to do my headgasket at some stage as it weeps oil all over my lovely silver gearbox. I even keep a rag behind the battery to mop up the oil after each run out. I have a few turbo gasket sets, but hope I've got the right one as I think mine has the in-line oil seal.
    Many thanks all for the nice comments.
    Your Turbo is such a lovely colour and in lovely condition Jum so many thanks for that.
    I have been looking a old photo's of Monty Turbo's and some of them, I agree, are very high but I will be removing the front springs and putting my old ones back on once i've re-painted them as I don't like it.

Your gasket should be the oil hole 'in line' type that is quite easy to get, mine is the oval hole type and it took me nearly 4 years to get any. I have been emailed with a 'tell me your price, I will pay anything' for my spare, but it's not for sale.

My Turbo is now taxed and will now be in use and it's got a few events to go to in January, come rain, snow or sun and I can't stop smiling when i'm driving it.
    MGCC new years day run, wedding, drive to Warrington, major MGCC Lincolnshire dinner and dance all in January so smiles per miles, can't wait. I may even take it to work a few times as i'm working quite local in most of January
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 31st December 2010, 16:13.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Drove it to Warrington yesterday and have now driven over 600 miles so far since I finished it. Not much mpg but lovely to drive. Needs a little tuning as it 'pinks' a little sometimes under boost and i'm still not happy with the front height.
      I MUST also put new front mudflaps on it as the car gets mega dirty easily.
      I have cleaned and rubbed down my old springs ready for painting and I should be able to put those back on soon.
      I have to do this before the 5th Feb in between working as it's in a photoshoot for a mainstream magazine then.

Comment

On thing that's puzzled me about your Turbo for a while Jeff - I know you've changed from metrics to X spokes at some point (or a p/o has) for cheaper tyres, but being pre-facelift shouldn't your car have the chrome trim round the windows? If you've removed it to suit your tastes fairy snuff - I'm just wondering if very late pre-facelift cars left the factory like that.
        Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
        E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
        H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
        J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
        L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
        OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
        PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
          On thing that's puzzled me about your Turbo for a while Jeff - I know you've changed from metrics to X spokes at some point (or a p/o has) for cheaper tyres, but being pre-facelift shouldn't your car have the chrome trim round the windows? If you've removed it to suit your tastes fairy snuff - I'm just wondering if very late pre-facelift cars left the factory like that.
          If there are any changes it was from the previous owner..but.
          Cheap tyres????????? Tyres are Yokohama's so not cheap Sam, but I did only pay very little for a set of 5 from an old member Passionwagon who got me a very cheap set.
          Wheels are obviously cross spoke, but it should have metric alloys on and chrome stripes around the windows changed to black by that time from what I remember.
          Andy's Turbo is 1987 and would have had metric tyres, chrome etc, mine is 1988 during the minor changes before they were 'Roverised'. If you bought an EFi it would have had trims on and the alloy's would have also been dish ones at an extra cost.
          Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 3rd August 2015, 16:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
            I have to do this before the 5th Feb in between working as it's in a photoshoot for a mainstream magazine then.
            I think I was asked if I'd be interested in this by the club too. I said yes if needed, but I guessed the mag would be after an unfettled example such as yours Jeff! Could still bring Jum along for the ride though!?
            Your car now looks superb, so will fly the Monty Turbo flag in style!
            sigpic
            63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
            'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
            '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
            '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
            'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
            '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
            'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Originally posted by Jumturbo View Post
              I think I was asked if I'd be interested in this by the club too. I said yes if needed, but I guessed the mag would be after an unfettled example such as yours Jeff! Could still bring Jum along for the ride though!?
              Your car now looks superb, so will fly the Monty Turbo flag in style!
              Don't matter what sort of Monty Turbo imo.
              They wanted an MG Metro Turbo, MG Maestro Turbo and the best of course an MG Montego Turbo
              Please do Jum, from what i've been told the mag is trying to get Donnington.
              Would be good with other Monty's there and you never know you may be able to go round the track, with a bit of luck. I will email you if your interested in coming along with the lovely JUM.
              I did a few years ago when my Turbo was pitted again'st a lovely Cavalier SRi round Cadwell Park for MG Enthusiast's mag, we both got told off for speeding on the back straight though

Comment

Yes Jeff I'd be interested. Will they still let others who turn up into Donnington?
                sigpic
                63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Before

Now, much better and with mudflaps back on. Just got to have the springs settle now and clean it as it looks like it's been rallying again after the trip to Warrington.
                  Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 28th January 2011, 17:23.

Comment

That does look much more like it.
                    They do look like they'll settle to the standard height. Other ones looked like stilts.
                    In fact they looked pretty much like the ones currently worn by MGT 396, and they too were apparently standard MG springs according to the seller(but I think they're not).
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Ta John.
                      Looks much better.

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                      Steves doing it for me
                      www.stevescleenz.co.uk
                      Topman at this he is
                      He will be doing this on friday for me. I will hopefully post up some piccys of my then very clean car
                      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 29th January 2011, 08:13.

Comment

Finally had a little bit of time to put these on. New MG badge, ta Mal and new Turbo badge that I bought about 4 years ago. Car is now completely finished and you can't moan about the MG badge now John

Comment

sweet jeff,it's well worth over 5k now...hope it wins you many show's now(it better do)

Comment

O she will it is beautiful i love the maestro body but i would definitely love to become the proud owner of a montego well done jeff she is the best montego i have ever seen but if i was to get one im a sucker for the white montego turbo thoe

Comment

Originally posted by scott91 View Post
                              O she will it is beautiful i love the maestro body but i would definitely love to become the proud owner of a montego well done jeff she is the best montego i have ever seen but if i was to get one im a sucker for the white montego turbo thoe
                              Ta Scott very nice of you to say so.

Comment

Originally posted by maestego View Post
                                sweet jeff,it's well worth over 5k now...hope it wins you many show's now(it better do)
                                Ahem, according to the Turbotastic article £5,500. Bit much in my opinion though but I will increase the agreed valuation on it so somewhere near that as they are going up in price.

Comment

Working...
                                X