Tally ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tally

I agree with Gareth. We are Maestro and Montego enthusiasts. But I thought enthusiasts take more of an interest in rarity than value?

If base models were scrapped in favour of the survival of an MG model, what would be left in the future for other young drivers who use such as their first cars? (Which would incidently deminish the number of younger members of this club)
    Or those who are not as well off who cannot afford a higher-spec car?
    Or even those who prefer the characteristics of a base model over a more complex vehicle such as the MG variant? (Such as myself)

As for people choosing base models over MG's (or higher models), it is not to be assumed that they will then just scrap an MG (how criminal), as it would be sold onto someone who can afford to run one, and/or prefer that particular model.

People may seem crackers to prefer base models over higher ones, such as MG variants, but have you thought to yourself that there are some people who don't wish to have a fast car? For example, my MG is most likely to be stolen from me than a base model with stickers... Do I really want to worry myself about that all the time, or do I want to enjoy my Maestro ownership without that worry?

As a 'closing point,' Austin-Rover (amongst the majority of other manufacturers) built their cars to suit several markets, and these still exist no matter how old the cars are now.

Keyword for tonight: Preference.

Tally appears to be 60 now.
    Last edited by D87SMW; 17th November 2004, 21:31.
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

At The Mo - L82 CPD 2.0 TD Montego DLX Estate 7 Seater - 161K - Just about roadworthy - In Workshop waiting for engine replacement before fun starts on mods.

Remains of Scraped Grey G reg 2.0 Carb Petrol Montego Countryman Estate 7 Seater - I know this is a crime but got from a friend and there really was more rust than car.

Previously- Most recent first:

M Reg Dark Blue Clubman TD Maestro - Again Rusty but used for a year or so - still got engine for monty.

K Reg Nightfire Red Clubman Asp Diesel Maestro - Pride and joy showroom condition for 3 years untill righten off in crash

Black? G reg Cluman 1.4 metro - for scraping becuase of insurance.

Beige D Reg 1.3 City X Maestro - A stand in for the Nightfire Maestro while being sorted - roof leaked and electrics/engine poorly lacking - half the car the 1.3 L was.

White E reg 1.6 Maestro - not run for five years - for scraping - did try to start but some major problem as dead.

Flat Red A Reg 4 spd 1.3L Maestro - not much rust concidering age - my first car - my freedom - many happy years before engine problems - sold to a friend to do up as a project - who promptly smashed it into the side of another car while picking it up and the police took it away .

PS: sorry its a long list of waffle but trust me its a lot longer unless you restrict it to Austin/Rover.

Comment

People may seem crackers to prefer base models over higher ones, such as MG variants, but have you thought to yourself that there are some people who don't wish to have a fast car?
        A car will only go faster if you press harder with your right foot. You can have 200bhp or 69bhp. Makes no difference.

If speed was an issue, i wouldnt drive an 80bhp Perkins everyday, would i?

My Turbo is my toy. It brings a smile to my face everytime i drive it.
        My Montego is equally as enjoyable but in a different way. And i actually prefer driving it. It's a better all rounder than any other Maestro or Montego that ARG built. And it doesnt have an MG badge.

The true enthusiast.

Comment

Tally

Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
          VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
          J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

revised tally

Originally posted by MaestroSpecial
            61.5... thanks! :laugh:

I'm just glad we're not counting spares in bedrooms and garages or we would be allocating 'points' to door seals and wiring looms (of which I reckon I've got about 2 cars' worth, in bits... anybody want some?).

I think we can let the 'half a car' go :laugh: for now anyway...
            Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
            "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
            "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
            "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky
              Hate to steal your thunder, but I also have a 1.3LX, which is currently my daily runaround, until I decide on one of three things: to keep it, to get a Peugeot 405 t/d estate, or a Montego t/d estate.....

Ooooh, choices!

Ricky.

looking back through thread a bit - to many cars to list all-told as I said - but sufice it to say I have had a peugoet 405 1.9D Estate (style ) and my monty is so much roomier, more powerfull, more reliable by far - and its got 7 seats ( I dont know why the 505 and 406 as an option had extra seats but the 405 diddent ? ) anyway back to subject - in my humbal opinion NO CONTEST - Monty Maesty all the way .

Comment

61.5?

Whats the half a car?
                Must have it for the records.

Now then, my "Tuppence" worth!.

The reasons for either restoring or scrapping any car depends on each cars individual merits.

IE. if the main tub of the car is beyond repair because of major structural corrosion and a replacement shell cannot be found (ilegal/legally).
                Then under those circumstances the car should be scrapped, and any usable/salvagable parts kept for future use(if space available).

If corrosion is other than structural, but in abundance elsewhere, then it is up to the owner whether or not THEY see it as viable, and affordable for them to have the work done.

This reasoning applies to all cars including classics such as Austin Healey, Jags and Roller's.

Rant over!..

Mal.

Comment

Detailing the half :laugh: - its not exactly half - depends how you look at it as i have the whole car; roof and center floor in bits in back yard - rear end at one end of front yard and engine bay/windcreen at other end - ps - I'm keeping all parts including engine - if I do sell I'll let you all know.

Comment

Originally posted by weasel2400
                    Remains of Scraped Grey G reg 2.0 Carb Petrol Montego Countryman Estate 7 Seater - I know this is a crime but got from a friend and there really was more rust than car.
                    There's the half a car... :laugh: I think.

Another point to be made, I think, is that "We can't save them all". Some of us have driveways and fields and understanding friends/family/whoever, but the majority of us don't.

I have 2 cars, the one that I am not using (at the moment, the Maestro for the Winter) lives on my mum's drive or in her garage, 4 miles away. I'm not too happy about this, but it is my only option. I don't have a drive or any off road parking at home, my daily driver (could be either car...) lives in the street, at the mercy of passing traffic and (more worryingly) kids with footballs.

I would love that Oporto Red Montego 1.6 that is elsewhere on the site. I would love a TD Estate in BRG. I'd love a Montego Turbo (preferably Zircon Blue). But it'll never happen.

So I put my 'all' into my 2 cars, irrespective of the cost, as they are in sound condition with respect to major corrosion issues - there aren't any.

I know it hurts, but sadly, we cannot save 'em all.
                    Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
                    "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
                    "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
                    "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

I see your point with space - the yards and workshop I refer to are (although all mine) at my mum and dads who are verry understanding most of the time but parking at home is b dy hell - I think its more important to save a few of everything and succeed than try to save every car and fail .

Comment

Originally posted by weasel2400
                        in my humbal opinion NO CONTEST - Monty Maesty all the way .
                        I'm glad you said that, as I have been weighing up the pros and cons for a while now, as I did once borrow a 190k+ miler 405 GLD for a day, and that thing flew when you booted it (and you really had to boot it!), but have been scarred by my dad's Rover 220D (86bhp), which I understand to be similar to the monty/maestro Perkins unit (well, it makes pretty much the same noise!), that only had 85k on the clock (with fsh) and it was like driving jekyll and hyde (if they/he were ever a car!), suddenly the turbo kicked in and your insides were trailing 500 yards behind you (exxaggeration I know but that's how it felt to me after driving a Peugeot 309!), and not only that but the Peugeot is the better handling car, allowing you do do things you never knew possible on 14 inch wheels!
                        However, it may be your point on reliability that swings it, as this is my major bugbear with the Peugeot, I know how head gaskets seemingly need to be done at the service intervals, which does worry me as I cannot afford expensive bills! But, on the flipside, Peugeot's dont rust.....

I'll stop now, waffling on again as per usual, perhaps I'll lose all perception of fuel economy when (yes, when!) I get the MG out again, just need to get some money from somewhere!

Ricky.

Comment

We're down to just one - MG Maestro Turbo #96, but we have owned several Maestros, for a long time 3 at once:
                          a B reg Efi, I think it was B933 HNV
                          G770 KOF - 2.0i
                          F285 WBD - 2.0i
                          a red 2.0i - F reg
                          a D reg 1.3, think it was D500 BCP
                          Turbo #67 - F180 SEU

Comment

Having read the comments above, I'd just like to say one thing in the interests of objective discussion - I can understand anyone taking offence at being addressed as "people like you"

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL

Now then, my "Tuppence" worth!.

The reasons for either restoring or scrapping any car depends on each cars individual merits.

IE. if the main tub of the car is beyond repair because of major structural corrosion and a replacement shell cannot be found (ilegal/legally).
                              Then under those circumstances the car should be scrapped, and any usable/salvagable parts kept for future use(if space available).

If corrosion is other than structural, but in abundance elsewhere, then it is up to the owner whether or not THEY see it as viable, and affordable for them to have the work done.

This reasoning applies to all cars including classics such as Austin Healey, Jags and Roller's.

Rant over!..

Mal.
                              OK, having read all that, your saying that if a car has rotten floors, sills, inner wings etc, that its not worth restoring even if it has some sort of historical value?

These are classic car's now, they will have structual corrosion, who cares where the rot is, it can still be cut out and repaired.

It just depends on =
                              A. If you have the money to pay someone to do it and B. If you capable of doing the job yourself.

If you answer no to both questions, give the car to someone else who can say yes to A or B.

And i'm glad i'm not the only one who took offence to being refered to as 'People like you'. Sure there's a law somewhere that i could enforce for discrimination....

Comment

Originally posted by Shazza
                                And i'm glad i'm not the only one who took offence to being refered to as 'People like you'. Sure there's a law somewhere that i could enforce for discrimination....
                                That’s the shortfall of internet forums, you don't have the ability to emphasise some words, and lessen others - like in face to face conversation, where placing an emphasis can make the comment insulting, or merely adding to the discussion. Perhaps if you did not have such a negative view of this forum and its users, you would not be so quick to assume it was a comment that was 'having a dig at you'.

Once again, have my apologies, it wasn’t intended to be insulting.

Comment

Working...
                                X