Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Base model monty D203WDO ( VERY LARGE PHOTOS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig Anderson View Post
    B pillar to new sill, I think it looks ****.
    I know wherre your coming from, but it's looking a lot better than it did and this was an epic project to take on....your doing better than I did when I put the new sill on my Maestro, I decided to just seam weld the pillars to the sill, grind them down and fill them smooth, for what I wanted it looks ok, but it wouldn't measure up as a proper resto job... you'll get it right - the main thing is strong welds, then I'd just tidy it up with filler... the amount of welding on that rear quarter was never going to be a grind off and paint job, get it skimmed with filler and dose of DA sander....

Andy
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Long view from front A pillar of the new sill, I hate it as it looks all lumpy.

Under side view of the anti roll bar panted in high temp bright orange.

Cant remember what its called but on the under side of were the B pillar is. Ive cut all the rust and put fresh metal on it then added seam sealer then panted it in hammerite smooth black then made a pitch of hammerite, parafin wax and oil in a pot and boiled in on a camping stove then panted it on to seal it from all the elements and road salt ect.

Did the same thing here to seal the metal so it cant rust as fast.

The finished rear arch with welds everywere but it stronger than what it once was.

This was one of the first pannels I welded on the car useing bits of the old front wings.

Work Still to be done

The one foot entry hole were part of the rear sill should be. All I did was touch it and it fell off.
      I have no montego anymore

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
        I know wherre your coming from, but it's looking a lot better than it did and this was an epic project to take on....your doing better than I did when I put the new sill on my Maestro, I decided to just seam weld the pillars to the sill, grind them down and fill them smooth, for what I wanted it looks ok, but it wouldn't measure up as a proper resto job... you'll get it right - the main thing is strong welds, then I'd just tidy it up with filler... the amount of welding on that rear quarter was never going to be a grind off and paint job, get it skimmed with filler and dose of DA sander....

Andy
        Ive put more filler on the quarter pannel last night and am going to sand it down with my new tool thats been epic to use,

Side scallops are a nighmare to sand down :/

Comment

car now has paint on it

Comment

Rear axle is off the car and is striped down.

A kids skate bored is holding up the rear of the car just now just for shunting the car back and forth

pics to follow.

Comment

Back axle is on but all my work is at a dead stop now.

Am out of money.

I set a side 2k witch I thought was more than enough and so far its cost me 4k+ to rebuild it,

So I may have to cut my losses and sell it as a rolling project on the club website.

Am heart broken. tbh

Comment

that sounds a shame.... whats left to do?
                CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
                  that sounds a shame.... whats left to do?
                  It needs a windscreen and other glass put back on and a respray and new head lining plus new tail lights and the carburetor is needing set up for the engine.

And it needs a brake servo as another member was supposed to send me one but never did.

Theres still to many rust holes needing patched up and panels needing replaced and welded on.

I would be brave and say its 50% finished so far.

Just struggling to finance the project on whats needing done still etc.
                  __________________________________________________ ____________

Working on the car when money has come in etc...

Just bought a windscreen and some other random bits from the club spares page

the project still feels mothballed but am still finding small jobs to do etc
                  Last edited by Craig Anderson; 26th April 2013, 20:57. Reason: R.f.e I did not want my post to bump my thread up on main page.

Comment

you'd be better 'mothballing' the project I'd have thought rather than trying to move it on. In its current state I can't see anyone taking it on and it'd be a shame to scrap it...
                    CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

Work is still continuing but at a slower pace than usual, my new sill is own and wheel arch plus few other bits and bobs.

Am also going to be getting a mk4 fiesta for free soon but it needs mot at end of June so it will come in handy for collecting parts etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Anderson View Post
                        Work is still continuing but at a slower pace than usual, my new sill is own and wheel arch plus few other bits and bobs.

Am also going to be getting a mk4 fiesta for free soon but it needs mot at end of June so it will come in handy for collecting parts etc...
                        Glad to hear that work on this continuing
                        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Wow!! The restoration work you are doing here is an absolute credit to you - it will be stunning when fully completed! Please do keep us updated.
                          Happy Motoring

Comment

I have managed to get the brakes and hand brake to work but normal working brakes are still dredfully soft as dog ****.

Plus this other car I have to run around in is costing me a fortune in road tax, m.o.ts, fuel, etc.

Its a ford fiesta fenesse with the optional slipping clutch so I can short shift without the pedal on the left.

And I start collage in september as am doing advanced introduction in to welding and engineering as my current c.v was really empty with f*$k all on it.

Most of my skills are self taught stuff

Rebuilding engines
                            Basic ark and mig welding skill
                            And general lifting and fitting with equipment
                            And removal of old and rusty parts with an acetylene/oxy torch

(hang on a minute)

Am I updateing my progress on my car or writeing my c.v
                            Am so mixed up hafe the time lolz

Comment

Seems like you have lots to offer and talent if the quality of your resto work is anything to go by. Have you thought of going into this kind of work as a pro?
                              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Am allso restoring a leyland leopard bus that was converted into a brakedown wagon sometime ago.

I dont own it tho, Its owned by the club charity were they fund the parts and new metal thats to go back on the chassis, The original alexander frame is quite rusty tho and needs saveing before its to late.

Its going to be restored into a brakedown wagon once more but it will just be a flat bed on the rear deck with a tow winch direct to the chassis.

Comment

Working...
                                X