• Show
Clear All

Check out that oil filter!
    Attached Files
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
      Over the next few weeks I'll be making a start on the mechanicals of this car. It hasn't been serviced in years. The oil filter is almost rusted through and the water pump is leaking. I'm going to use this car to try and teach myself how to do a lot of these things myself to save money for the bodywork.

So far I have ordered:

- New battery
      - Water pump
      - Oil filter
      - Air filter
      - distributor cap
      - rotor arm
      - HT leads
      - spark plugs
      - thermostat
      - fuel pump
      - rubber fuel hose (lots)
      - complete early exhaust from front the rear
      - discs and pads
      - brake shoes and cylinders
      - master cylinder
      - timing belt
      - ignition coil
      - radiator
      - cooling fan switch
      - new jubilee clips

The above should keep me busy for a while. Before I start, the engine will be getting a good steam clean.

As the dash is currently out, I will take the opportunity to change the heater matrix pipes for copper replacements, and replace all the degraded foam gaskets throughout the heater assembly.

The fuel filler neck is also extremely corroded so I'll be whipping that off to see if it can be saved. If not, I'll be looking to source a replacement.

I'll also be preparing and treating as much of the bodywork as I can. I've sourced early front wings for it, so will spend time removing existing wings, cleaning and treating the inner wings before carefully fitting the new wings to achieve perfect panel gaps (hopefully). All new doors will be ordered at a later date, then once the car is up and running well, it will start to have remedial body repairs, most urgently, the replacement of the inner scuttle panel (new panel sourced), rear wheel arch replacement including inner arch repairs, sill end repairs and some minor welding to the floor. Once this is achieved, I expect an MOT should be achievable and it can continue as a rolling restoration.

Watch this space, I'm sure I'll be needing lots of help and advice. :-)

#projectHLS!
      That's a large list Ed
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
        That's a large list Ed
        It certainly is Jeff, but I'm looking forward to getting started.

Comment

Today I ordered a Ford Pinto timing belt tensioner the same as the one Jeff used on his Zircon Blue MG Monty due to the lack of availability of original ones for the early O series engine. It will need some modification before fitment, so hopefully I can do exactly what Jeff did to his to get a perfect fit.

Parts have started to arrive so I'm looking forward to getting started on this poor, neglected but ridiculously rare old Monty.
          Last edited by Ed; 13th July 2015, 17:54.

Comment

Today I ordered a Ford Pinto timing belt tensioner the same as the one Jeff used on his Zircon Blue MG Monty due to the lack of availability of original ones for the early O series engine. It will need some modification before fitment, so hopefully I can do exactly what Jeff did to his to get a perfect fit.

Parts have started to arrive so I'm looking forward to getting started on this poor, neglected but ridiculously rare old Monty.
            Just do the same modification Ed and it'll work, don't forget early cambelts are different to later ones
            Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 13th July 2015, 19:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
              Just do the same modification Ed and it'll work, don't forget early cambelts are different to later ones
              What tool did you use for the modifications Jeff?

The car currently has a Unipart timing belt, part number GTB1024 printed on it. I've just acquired four brand new as a job lot.

Comment

What tool did you use for the modifications Jeff?

The car currently has a Unipart timing belt, part number GTB1024 printed on it. I've just acquired four brand new as a job lot.
                Just a hacksaw and a metal file Ed. Cut a slot and tidy. If you look at my post from my blue digidash it should give you enough info
                Good find with the belt

Comment

Everything ground to a halt on this project last year due to unforeseen circumstances, however, I am working on a plan to get work started and the car roadworthy by next summer. Watch this space.

Comment

This car will be returning back to me from storage in 15 days. Can't wait to finally get the project under way.

Comment

It's been a while since I have done an update on here, so here are some pictures of the car coming out of storage and returning home to me back in August:

Comment

One of the first jobs was to remove the later style wings that turned out to be pattern parts. Genuine "repeaterless" wings will be fitted. In the meantime I was extremely happy to see rock solid metal underneath. These areas will receive proper paint and waxoyl treatment before the new wings are fitted.

Comment

I will shortly be making a start on removing the engine from this car. I then intend to replace all gaskets, including head gasket, replace water pump, oil pump, all belts and pulleys. I’'ll separate the engine from the gearbox and replace the clutch. While the engine is out, I'’ll be painting the block in the original red & repainting the sump. Before the engine is reinstalled, I will clean up and respray the engine bay, inner wings, cross members and any suspension bits that can be repainted. Once the engine is back in, I will clean up all the hoses and install new jubilee clips all round. A new radiator will also be installed. Excited to get started. I will update regularly!

Comment

Working...
                          X