No announcement yet.

1995 Rover Maestro 700L Van (M775 OAN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have now sold my Clubman TD, it will be picked up by its new owner on Wednesday/Thursday so i will have the funds to sort this out as my daily drive.

Work commences tomorrow, i need to remove the turbocharger ready for refurb.

Can anyone recommend someone who refurbs/exchanges turbocharger units?

And is it easier to remove the turbo from above or below?

Comment

Why do you think the turbo needs refurbing?
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Intercooler pipes are pasted with oil, the smoking issue and (Ben Rawlings) previous owner said it started to use some oil before coming off the road.

Comment

Intercooler pipes will always have a coating of oil in. If the intercooler is half filled with oil that isn't a good sign though. (although a dribble of oil is normal)

Check for play in the turbine and look for damage on the compressor wheel before trying to take it off. The prima original turbo is pretty hardy. I ran stupid boost on mine and it is still running now in someone elses van

Comment

This is half of the issue, we have no idea what turbo it is running although we have been assured it is not standard.

Access is so limited i don't think i will be able to check anything without removing it?

Comment

Remove the air intake pipe to it and you'll be able to reach/look in.

Bent fins are not a good sign. A tiny amount of up/down left/right play is fine (when looking into the intake). Lots of in/out play is a bad sign.

Did it smoke at idle or only when on boost? If the latter it'll just be how it has been tuned. If you take some pics of the turbo ID plate that'll tell you whether it is standard or not.

Comment

If it still looks like the smoke in the vid that was posted up there is nothing wrong with it.

Comment

It does, but it actually splutters out oil from the exhaust that must mean the turbo seals are knackered??

Comment

The turbo in the vid looks ok. Is it actually oil coming out of the exhaust or simply sooty water? (There doesn't sound to be a silencer in the exhaust).

If oil was coming out of the exhaust I would expect to see great plumes of smoke all the time (it wouldn't matter if the engine was on boost or not).

Comment

My suspicions are confirmed!

Been a busy day today

After many rusty seized bolts, scraped knuckles and swearing the turbo is out!

Many thanks to my work colleague Rich for the help!

The turbo is infact a GARRETT BC1 M27 A R 48, i'll let the pictures do the talking

So refurb/new turbo time........
                      Attached Files

Comment

Jesus, that comp wheel has taken a beating. K&N filter perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                          K&N filter perhaps?
                          Can that cause it!?

Comment

After a quick google it appears to be a Saab 2.3 turbocharger?? No wonder it was so quick!

Comment

What is the number on the plate on the turbo. The casting marks don't usually give away a lot (other than the A/R).

The compressor wheel does look to have taken a beating - probably as a result of running no air filter for an extended period of time.

Comment

There is no plate present....

I am keen to put the same turbo back on there, how's best to move forwards now?

Is this too far gone for a refurb? Or should I try and track down another good used unit etc

Comment

Working...
                                X