Make a list of what needs doing to it, then start
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Not great on the turbo diesel engine but I would have thought turbo seals would make blue smoke due to the engine burning the oil
      It could be head gasket failure and what you saw could be carbon washed out of the exhaust by the steam
      It may be worth removing the intercooler and getting the fueling back to standard and see what happens then

Comment

I'd just try doing a full service on all fluids unless you know when they were last changed. New air and fuel filter. Then you can look and keep an eye on the oil level as if the turbo seals are gone then it will eat the oil.

It would be really unusual for the turbo to spit oil into the exhaust without it catching fire! With high temps and going through a turbine wheel doing many thousand rpms it will spray oil out in a fine mist that burns. You'll only see smoke. More likely to be valve stem oil seals if oil comes out while it's still cold. Even then the oil burns rather than runs out the exhaust. I'd suggest it was residual crap in the exhaust.

I'd just service and run it gently for a while then see what comes up. I'd have a back up vehicle for a while though!

Comment

Okay after checking today I am now fairly certain it was just crap from the exhaust not oil.

Here's a video of said smoke, which isn't black as I first thought.
          When driving it is fairly constant:
          http://youtu.be/dF19PV9IU_g

Comment

Just saw the vid. That isn't anything to worry about. FAR less smoke than my old van used to produce.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

What smoke?

It doesnt look that smokey...

Comment

When it is driven it leaves a fog behind it!
                I don't know whether it is partly due to lack of use. (Off road since 2012)
                But my friend who I bought it from did say it was consuming some oil.

Comment

How much is some oil? I seem to recall having to top up every prima I had. The turbo is an old design and I think it was quite common for the engine to consume a little oil.

If the smoke is that bad I'd look at fitting an egt gauge just to make sure your fuelling is not too excessive.

Comment

Now this IS bad smoke but even this clears after a few minutes
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is still not a lot of smoke (my 600 on a rolling road many years/miles ago).

My van put out about twice as much when giving full beans. It ran more boost too!

Comment

Check that the PCV valve is working. If not oil consumption is always high.

Comment

What's the MOT situation with smoke like that?

Comment

It still passes. I always turn the tuning box down though to be fair just to be sure, but I think on a good day it'd still pass in full power mode.

My old van used to be MOT'd at about 2.9 (The limit is 3.0), but thats the closest I've ever come to failing it on emissions at least.

Comment

like they say no smoke no poke !!

Comment

Hi all

Just a quick note I am looking for a few Maestro vans to photograph for articles I am compiling for Classic Van & pick up and Heritage Commercials.

If you have a van I am happy to travel to meet up.

Pleas PM or e mail RussLCV@gmail.com

This AA van in Bristol sounds good too.....what is the position with rebuild?

Thanks

Russ

Comment

Working...
                                X