Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverleaf MG Montego efi

Start of a mega project to save an early MG Montego EFi
    I bought this but not for the money it was up at.
    I've also done a deal with the guy about mating up with the front of car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-ROV...047675.c100010

Which will be joining this
    http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20557

How many left state that there are only 8 left from 1985 so I will try to restore it and keep the numbers up.
    It does also say that there are only 3 left from 1984, I have two and Steve has one, but I know of more unresistered so there must be more out there from 1985

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mg_montego_efi_mg

I'm probably being stupid with the amount of work needed to to be done but at least it might get a chance.
    The car will never be worth anywhere near the amount I'm going to have to spend on it but hay ho
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 8th October 2014, 04:24.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

well done jeff as you say a big project good luck be nice to see it progress with pics.hopefully you will leave most of the rusty bits with the old shell

Comment

Great to see another saved but what a project!! Good luck Jeff. With the new rear end will probably be the most rust free around. Love to see the end result.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Now that's a project! Not one I would like to take on. Good luck
        MG Maestro turbo 437
        367 Bhp

Comment

Very good job there Jeff. Be very interested in seeing the progress of this.

Comment

It's going to take aloooong time as I have other projects I need to finish, my sons Turbo is the first I have to complete, but it will get done.
            Once stripped the body is already booked into being separated and attached to it's new rear end

Comment

Are you going to acid dip/zinc coat or whatever it is called the new chassis?

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
                Dunno yet, will see how it goes once they're joined up

Comment

May the force be with you.

I'm sure it'll make a nice change from working on rusty cars, a good clean metal shell will make a nice change.

Good luck!

Ian
                  Ian Drew
                  MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                  MG ZT V8
                  Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
                    I've found a company who can do that for me and not that expensive and not that far away but will weigh up the options when it gets back
                    http://prostrip.co.uk/car-auto
                    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 10th October 2014, 10:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                      I've found a company who can do that for me and not that expensive and not that far away but will weigh up the options when it gets back
                      http://prostrip.co.uk/car-auto
                      I have the same dilemma with my MG Maestro project which is of a similar magnitude as yours, Jeff. I really would love to have the bare bodyshell and panels chemically stripped and cleaned and then zinc phosphated. However, the cost of nearly £3,000 with SPL Processing (who do a good job) is rather a lot when the cost of the project will be similar to what it cost as a new car. I would also need to factor in the cost of two return journeys of transportation from Devon to the Midlands.

I really wish I could justify it when the project commences next year, but at the moment can't based on the additional cost factor on what will already start out as a very expensive restoration project.

Comment

My friend had a car done by Prostrip. They did a good job. Difficult job moving a bare shell though. His was a GT6 so not too bad. The Monty would need a gang of strong blokes!

Definitely 3 Shredded Wheat for breakfast Jeff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kobe View Post
                          My friend had a car done by Prostrip. They did a good job. Difficult job moving a bare shell though. His was a GT6 so not too bad. The Monty would need a gang of strong blokes!

Definitely 3 Shredded Wheat for breakfast Jeff!!!
                          Won't be able to afford it after this lol

Comment

Originally posted by David3500 View Post
                            I have the same dilemma with my MG Maestro project which is of a similar magnitude as yours, Jeff. I really would love to have the bare bodyshell and panels chemically stripped and cleaned and then zinc phosphated. However, the cost of nearly £3,000 with SPL Processing (who do a good job) is rather a lot when the cost of the project will be similar to what it cost as a new car. I would also need to factor in the cost of two return journeys of transportation from Devon to the Midlands.

I really wish I could justify it when the project commences next year, but at the moment can't based on the additional cost factor on what will already start out as a very expensive restoration project.
                            The dip is £875 plus vat. I would then restore anything that needs to be done and reseal all. Then the additional fee of £1100 plus vat is for it to be primed etc.
                            As you says it's rather expensive as the a spray would be needed. I would have to save up but I'm in no hurry.
                            I looked at an F reg Montego 1.6 today with a very solid body but then there's the expence of changing the chassis numbers and a respray etc

Comment

That's about £2,200 plus a full paint inside and out at say £1500. Nearly £4000 by the time you've moved it to and from twice.

An awful lot of money and you'll probably never want to take it out in the rain!!?

I think I'd pass on the treatment and take my chances. Waxoyl aint that bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X