Rebuild OF MG Maestro Turbo 169

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild OF MG Maestro Turbo 169

Well earlier in the year I brought 169 reg G999WEE from Kobe from this Forum,
    this was what she looked like when she was delivered

So Car was stripped, Shell is at the spray shop now,
    suspension bit have now been shot basted and powder coated,
    Turbo and Engine head are away being rebuilt,
    Last edited by Paul72; 11th November 2016, 19:22.

Comment

Well done Paul! Keep up the good work. Seems like there will be a handful of Turbo's breaking cover and in pristine condition again, next year.
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Thats the Gearbox sorted out, it's a new C6 box which I have fitted new diff seals on at the same time as fitting a Limited slip Diff with uprated bearings and a uprated clutch arm
        Last edited by Paul72; 15th November 2016, 04:23.

Comment

Hoping to have it ready in January Pete,
          As you can see in the photos I've most parts sorted now just a few bits missing from when it was stripped before I got her (door cards and fitting, ECU)
          and a few bits that still new replace due to damage (roof lining)

Comment

Looks great. As the MMM cars have now past their "minimum value" some years ago and are no appreciating in value, it's really good to see so many people taking on these cars and giving them the rebuilds they deserve.
            I only hope when one day I find some "time" I can carry on the trend!

Well done Paul, Pete, Charliecosworth etc etc.
            Ian Drew
            MG Maestro Turbo '400'
            MG ZT V8
            Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

some nice parts ready to fit :-)
              MG Maestro turbo 437
              367 Bhp

Comment

I finally managed to get hold of a speedo drive ring that wasn't chewed up, so got around to fitting it to the new diff which is going in to the new gearbox, and then stripped the gearbox to do the fitting of the diff plus fitting of some uprated metal caged bearings. Thats the box all ready for fitting now with mounting brackets fitted as well.
                Last edited by Paul72; 25th January 2017, 17:22.

Comment

Coming on well Paul
                  1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                  1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                  1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                  2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                  2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                  2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Well it's going slower than I hoped really as I'm deployed again, so the Internet is my main point of contact.
                    The Engine block and head are past being rebuilt as they've been skimmed the maximum they can be in the past, So now I'm on to engine number two which I had in storage for use later on, so that engine will have to wait till i'm back again to start the rebuild.
                    So here's Photo of the shell of to be painted and hopefully I post more of the work that got done over the Christmas and new year

Comment

Bit of a bummer about the head and block Paul, good that you had a "spare" waiting in the wings tho'! Has the repaint made progress or is the pic as it is now?
                      Membership Secretary
                      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
                      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
                      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

When I saw the shell just after the new year it was basically back to bare metal. I should of got some photos then, but it was late in the day and I was planning on going back to see it in better light, But ended up not having enough time to get back to see it. The shell is currently sitting on some 1.3 running gear at the moment, as all the Turbo running gear is in Storage after being powder coated.
                        I also got the Brakes sorted when I was back, now the front are ready to fit, I just need to get some machining done for the Rear disc set up I'm fitting (MGTF Rear disc to match the Front Disc with a Rover 25 rear calliper)
                        1.machine the Stub axle down to bring the rear track back to standard,
                        2. so the disc will fit the hub (PCD and diameter).
                        As I'm going to be Running 4pot callipers on the front and Single pot rear callipers, I've a brake master cylinder with a internal bore of 25mm so it should keep a firm peddle feel.
                        The "Spare" engine is a T16 engine which will be getting some work done to it, Head is going to Grant of GBE, should of gone already but again run out of time and a full set of Forged Internals will be going in, as once it's built I don't plan on having to strip it down again. The block will be getting dressed like a O Series Block, like the photos of the Goon's engine below, as I'd rather do it that way than change the body shell. The only things different on the shell now from standard are a load of seam wielding and the side skirt brackets are now welded on.

Comment

you putting T16 in it? are you planning to take the power steering off the maestro? only reason i ask if you go down the route of converting the water pump and belts like O series, there be no where for power steering pump? i also went grant for work on mine, pictures are in my blog on this site i went for big valve conversion with solid lifters with cam to match now running 401 bhp.

thinking of doing this disk conversion on the rear too, i have been told i need a rear set up from ZR 160, was only talking about this on Facebook yesterday think the problems will be hand brake cables matching up, i believe you have to also take off 10mm hub to bring tracking back to normal, also hubs will need drilling to fit maestro wheels back on 95.25PCD and holes to accept 13.1mm studs. Studs are M12 x 1.5.
                          MG Maestro turbo 437
                          367 Bhp

Comment

I'm going to be using a electric power steering pump, also planning on the big valve set up
                            I've got all the bits for the rear disc set up, just need to drop them of at the machine shop to get the work done, it's 10.5 mm off the stub axles I got to bring the track back to standard, plus the hubs need to lose 5mm off the diameter for the disc to fit plus I've had a couple of brackets made up to sort out the handbrake cables which will been just two cables from calliper to handbrake lever.

Comment

are you going to use mgtf rear discs?
                              MG Maestro turbo 437
                              367 Bhp

Comment

Working...
                              X