Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MG 1600 S series rebuild finally underway.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG 1600 S series rebuild finally underway.

The WD40 has had plenty of time to soak in, so finally made a start on taking bits off and starting repairs. Spraying WD40 on the bolts once a week seems to have paid off so far, all have come out without drama. They do say that patience is a virtue....

Cleaned and painted rear brakes, if the paint is as good as it says on the tin then this should last for many years. Painting the inside makes them much easier to de-dust.

Comment

I always thought that the MG 1600 used the R-Series chain driven engine and not the S? Happy to stand corrected though. Another reason I ask is that I've been sorting through my boxes of bits and have a few S-series bits that need a new home.

Also, I'd love to know what you're using for the brake paint?

Cheers,
      Ian
      Ian Drew
      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
      MG ZT V8
      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
        I always thought that the MG 1600 used the R-Series chain driven engine and not the S?

Cheers,
        Ian
        Correct Ian, R series for a short time, with the twin downdraught Webers, then went straight to the O series in EFi form.
        Membership Secretary
        Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
        2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
        1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

I always thought that the MG 1600 used the R-Series chain driven engine and not the S? Happy to stand corrected though. Another reason I ask is that I've been sorting through my boxes of bits and have a few S-series bits that need a new home.

Also, I'd love to know what you're using for the brake paint?

Cheers,
          Ian
          The brake paint is engine enamel, the backplates I wire brushed, treated with kurust (looked very nice black, but I didn't think it'd last...) two coats of bonda primer, then two of engine enamel...the drums I just gave 3 coats of engine enamel, which alleges that it needs no primer... I think it should be ok...but won't know until I try it, so a bit of an experiment. I wanted to paint the inside just to make them easier to clean as I am a lazy git really ha ha ha.... The MG 1600 first came out as an R series, then they made an s series version for a few months, it gets a brief mention on here https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/aust...ry-mg-maestro/ and rumour has it that taking a grinder to the block under the valves and a few other minor tweaks could cause serious embarassment to anyone in a standard efi...not quite up to that stage yet though.. what sort of bits have you got?
          cheers
          John

Comment

The S series were built from July to Oct 84 so very rare! Beautiful car, can’t wait to see this one develop.

Comment

Good start John. Much more to do lol
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                Good start John. Much more to do lol
                bodywise another four or five easy bits and three or four more complicated bits...then just the engine and other bits to sort out...don't know what I'm going to do after dinner ha ha ha

Comment

Here's some photos of the parts I need rid of:
                  Ian Drew
                  MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                  MG ZT V8
                  Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Here's some photos of the parts I need rid of:
                    The timing belt cover is the same as the MG, I think the exhaust manifold might be the same, but the other bits will only fit SU carbed ones....I'm guessing that you will be quite a distance from the north Pennines?

Comment

Excellent! Another S Series heading towards getting back on the road. Mine's an August 84 built car.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post
                        Excellent! Another S Series heading towards getting back on the road. Mine's an August 84 built car.
                        Yours looks like a new one there, so I guess I've got something to aim for ha ha ha..I won't be rushing it, in case I'm tempted to cut corners, but as long as I keep doing a bit now and again should be done by next year I hope........I'm looking forward to tring it out, I had a 1600HLS for a short while and my sister had an R series MG, both were great cars, in theory MG s series should be even better...My theory is that the bad name the MG 1600s got was mostly down to not reading the book (both owners and workshop) and doing what it said......The two registration suffixes can be connected, if you twist it a bit..doing a VAT return may drive you to drink a bottle of VOD...

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

The timing belt cover is the same as the MG, I think the exhaust manifold might be the same, but the other bits will only fit SU carbed ones....I'm guessing that you will be quite a distance from the north Pennines?
                          Indeed, I live in St Albans, just outside the M25! I hope to be going to Pride Of Longbridge though if that's any use?

Cheers,
                          Ian
                          Ian Drew
                          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                          MG ZT V8
                          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Indeed, I live in St Albans, just outside the M25! I hope to be going to Pride Of Longbridge though if that's any use?

Cheers,
                            Ian
                            Yes, I'll be there in the M16 Maestro, which there are pictures of on the other thread I started on here...I guess that you may well be in a rather more shiny vehicle
                            cheers
                            John

Comment

I'll be in the V8, but to call it "shiny" is a bit of a stretch. I have promised my 6 yr old he can wash it tomorrow, but I doubt that will make it any shinier either....
                              I have some T16 parts laying around (somewhere) which are no surplus to requirements if they are of any use? Some cam belt covers, thermostat housings etc that you are welcome to take off my hands?
                              I'll definitely look out for the M16 Maestro.

Ian
                              Ian Drew
                              MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                              MG ZT V8
                              Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Working...
                              X