No announcement yet.

What engine oil do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use whatever i can get for free at work. This is due to the fact it changes its own oil every 200 miles. To be fair to the car it does take the old oil back and puts it on the carpark.

Comment

Remember folks this isn't any old engine.

This is an engine that is going to be driven HARD for many thousands of miles in potentially hot climates.

Hence my recommendation for a higher hot viscosity.

The lower first (w) number isn't going to be that important so in reality it could be 0, 5, 10 or even 15.

The viscosity when hot is the second number and so 40 may not be suitable for race use. I'd go with a 50 particularly for hot countries.

Perhaps something like some of these:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50-engine-oil.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-660-15w-50-engine-oil.aspx

This stuff looks reasonably priced..

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60123-gu...oil-15w50.aspx

Obviously other suppliers are available.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Off topic I know but when you have an oil leak the opposite is true. It is the lightest oil (ie the cleanest, what you have just poured in) that leaks out, leaving the higher density old oil still in the engine.
        Originally posted by russ10 View Post
        I use whatever i can get for free at work. This is due to the fact it changes its own oil every 200 miles. To be fair to the car it does take the old oil back and puts it on the carpark.

Comment

As always dan makes a good point, but the thread does ask what you you use, not what oil should we use. Jesus I'm boring myself Goodbye!
          Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
          Remember folks this isn't any old engine.

Comment

Before you go: What capacity is the gearbox oil requirement, just ordering some synthetic Millers. 75-90 is the thinnest they do.

Comment

C'mon someone. Sorry, Haynes book not to hand. Can someone answer it? Countrydude is having his afernoon nap.

Comment

If it is the 5 speed, 2 litres(3.5 pints)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
                Greg

Rover Maestro 1.6LX 1991,Daily Driver
                Triumph TR7 V8 DHC 1980

Comment

No, its a 1.6 (see the rallyproject thread on the upgrades and customisation topic). Called up Millers and they looked it up on a chart, had the two litre montego/maestro, but not any others, so went with a Mk1 Golf chart reference. Got 75-90, seems a bit thick but then there is a lot of under-shielding, and very hot work.

Comment

Sorry Philip, the only work I have done on the S series is to remove it!

Comment

The official recommendation from the factory manual: The VW 5 speed gearbox has an oil capacity of 2.0 litres or 3.5 pints. Use SAE 75 oil with 4% Anglamol additive meeting MIL-L-2105 and GL4 levels of performance; top up with EP 80W.
                      Attached Files
                      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Can anyone recommend a 10/40 mineral oil ?

Comment

Why would you want one? Running an engine in? If so any old cheap junk will do.
                          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Hi Soulcharger, I'm no expert but If it's any help i use "Carlube" and as E_T_V suggests you don't need to pay top dollar for oil; any brand is fine as long as it specifies API SG or SG/CD or later. The Carlube i use specifies API SL/CF. Please note i'm only talking about petrol engines as this thread was primarily about gearbox oil which can be different all together e.g my autobox has auto fluid in the box and EP90 in the final drive. I'm not convinced there isn't some leakage between the two but that's another story.......
                            Arthur

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
                            1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
                            1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Originally posted by daveyboy View Post
                              I use 10w40 synthetic in mine the mg has run on it for 8 years and my lx auto and clubman are on it too, they are low mileage though.
                              Our first Mg Maestro 2.0i ran on fully synthetic from new and clocked up 125k when i sold her the engine was as new never used any oil and pulled like a trian the oil was clean too
                              Agreed. 10w40 Synthetic is pretty much a standard for any car in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X