The death of the internal combustion engine has been greatly exaggerated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of the internal combustion engine has been greatly exaggerated

A presentation in the UK parliament by a highly qualified professor of engineering. Battery electric cars are unlikely to be the future.

It will eventually die, but electric cars are not the answer, only a stop gap in my opinion
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

In our current focus on reducing CO2 emissions, I would propose that it is nigh on impossible, with current technology, to devise an item that is capable of moving a transport unit (such as a people carrying vehicle) without creating a pollutant at some stage in its process. I would further add that this includes batteries, fuelcells or hydrogen power as the most popular/common alternatives at the moment. The only thing that appears to come close to meeting the requirement is solar power, and unfortunately, that is not suitable for all countries or all seasons. On that basis, I feel that the IC engine will continue, even if it becomes a pariah, for some time to come.
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post
        In our current focus on reducing CO2 emissions, I would propose that it is nigh on impossible, with current technology, to devise an item that is capable of moving a transport unit (such as a people carrying vehicle) without creating a pollutant at some stage in its process. I would further add that this includes batteries, fuelcells or hydrogen power as the most popular/common alternatives at the moment. The only thing that appears to come close to meeting the requirement is solar power, and unfortunately, that is not suitable for all countries or all seasons. On that basis, I feel that the IC engine will continue, even if it becomes a pariah, for some time to come.
        If you do the sums, ic engines and fossil fuel start to look much less bad than the powers that be have painted them. I didn't get as far as doing a detailed analysis on cars, but posted the total carbon footprint of locally mined Anthracite on facebook, including all of the figures that I had used and links to sources. It was less than the chimney emissions (ie not adding in the transport, loss of carbon sink, felling and processing overheads) of the allegedly green biomass alternative. I rounded everything in favour of the biomass, so if there were any holes in my theory I had a good margin, so far no-one has argued with this. An older ev such as the Bedford cf electric would score better than many modern ones as far as carbon footprint and sustainability goes, but the 50mph top speed and 60 miles range lets it down a bit......

Comment

Working...
        X