Thermostat Housing Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Housing Removal

I need to remove my thermostat housing so I can replace the sandwich plat underneath but therin lays a problem.
    Two of the three bolts go through what looks like an engine support mount!!!!! there is an 'L' shaped plate that sits on top of the housing and
    that is attached by a single bolt to part of the engine mount.
    My question is this: Do I need to support the enginge if I take these two bolts out or is it safe to remove them without enginge support and just slide the housing and
    sandwich plate out?

Cheers
    Stu

Forgot to say it is a 1993 1.3 Clubman

Comment

I'm no expert on the 1.3, but for the amount of time it would take to pop a jack and a bit of wood under the sump, I'd play safe....at least then you know that it isn't going to move and wedge the various bits in the wrong places...

Comment

As advised, always best to play safe and a support underneath wouldn't go amiss. However I can confirm it is only a stiffener bracket and not a main engine mount, so should be no problems in removal without doing anything special. Certainly the workshop manual doesn't give any extra tasks before removing the water outlet elbow.
        Membership Secretary
        Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
        2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
        1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Working...
        X