Indicators / Warning light Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicators / Warning light Fault

Hi all. Got a problem with my MG MAESTRO 1987, that has developed an issue with the indicators and warning lights. Suddenly they have both stopped working. When turn on indicators, nothing. No flash, nothing displayed inside or out. When pressing warning light switch down it lights up (staying lit) but no flashing or lights on outside.
    I've tried changing the fuse and buying a new relay. Also tried the stalk in my friends montego and all functioning as normal. Also the lights and horn on the stalk are working fine. Got me stumped. Any ideas would be very much appreciated, before I take it to an auto electrician.

To be clear, I meant that I tried the stalk from my maestro, placing in my friend's montego, and it worked as normal.

Still stumped if anyone had any pointers!

Comment

Originally posted by Wadsley View Post
      To be clear, I meant that I tried the stalk from my maestro, placing in my friend's montego, and it worked as normal.

Still stumped if anyone had any pointers!
      Then you need a replacement stalk if your mates one worked ok. There are plenty on ebay
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Sorry Jeff, my grammer has clearly foxed everyone. I meant i actually tried putting my own indicator stalk inro my friend's car and in his car it worked just fine. Thus the stalk is working and the relay is also working.

Comment

Unplug the flasher unit then with everything switched off, try connecting a live feed from the battery to one of the front indicators, the lights on that side should come on, as well as the dashboard light. If you switch the hazard lights on, the other side should light up, along with the hazard indicator. If this all works as it should, then fault is either in feed to flasher unit, flasher unit itself, or feed from flasher to switch.

Comment

Thanks DD. I did connect a live from battery to the indicator and got a light come on, so assumed that the earth was OK. Did try the stalk but still same fault. I've also tried connecting points across the connector blocks and got a light on the dash for both sides of indicators and on the outside lights. Still can't figure where the break point might be. Clearly it is affecting the whole circuit, to be involving all four lights.

As I've stated, the stalk and relay are working. Wonder if it's a feed to the relay.

Comment

Quite possible, relay pin 85 is fed by light green/orange wire from fuse c6, c6 is fed from hazard switch by light green/pink wire, with hazards on this wire is fed from an unfused (apart from giant fuses on main feed!) brown, which also feeds headlamp flash & horn, with hazards off it is fed from an unfused ignition switched white. The 'flashing' output is light green/brown back up to the switch from pin 87. Pin 86 is earth, which might be worth checking? Pin 30 is light green/yellow to trailer warning lamp, so can be ignored for now! If you make up some 1/4" spade jump leads to connect to relay it will be easy to test earth & feed by 'hotwiring' them to a known good supply while connecting output back into relay base. If it is still not working then fault has to be in lead from 87 to switch, hopefully this will help you to narrow it down...
              .good luck!

Comment

DD
                Thanks so much for taking your time to provide a detailed diagram plan of the loom. I'm not an auto electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but have been able to rewire most of my Landy and a wayward Mercedes, amongst car stereos over the years. I can follow instructions, but the Haynes circuit diagrams are like spaghetti for my brain.

You detailed plan is very much appreciated and just why I rejoined this forum. As ever, a very thoughtful and considered post, with your time freely given.

If this site had promotes, you'd be getting one.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Wadsley View Post
                  DD
                  Thanks so much for taking your time to provide a detailed diagram plan of the loom. I'm not an auto electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but have been able to rewire most of my Landy and a wayward Mercedes, amongst car stereos over the years. I can follow instructions, but the Haynes circuit diagrams are like spaghetti for my brain.

You detailed plan is very much appreciated and just why I rejoined this forum. As ever, a very thoughtful and considered post, with your time freely given.

If this site had promotes, you'd be getting one.

Paul
                  John, Mr diesel is the resident forum guru so he knows quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

John, Mr diesel is the resident forum guru so he knows quite a bit
                    There is only one petrol engine guru on here & I'm not it ha ha ha!
                    I looked at the wiring diagram in the Haynes & realised that a) it is a half size version of the Rover one and b) because of this you can't see which wires go where & it looks like some end up in the fusebox, where in real life they go straight past it... hope it helps you get to the bottom of it Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

There is only one petrol engine guru on here & I'm not it ha ha ha!
                      I looked at the wiring diagram in the Haynes & realised that a) it is a half size version of the Rover one and b) because of this you can't see which wires go where & it looks like some end up in the fusebox, where in real life they go straight past it... hope it helps you get to the bottom of it Paul
                      And modest to boot

Comment

Wadsley did you manage to find the fault? Mine is doing the same

Comment

Working...
                        X