Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front drop links – NAM6857 – a (cheaper) solution !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front drop links – NAM6857 – a (cheaper) solution !!

Without doubt Montego/Maestro front anti-roll bar links NAM6857 are on a lot of people’s wants lists even if not needed immediately then for future use. The chance you’ll need on is quite likely and unless you’re lucky enough to find some old/new stocked squirreled away they are very expensive when they come up for sale. Pairs have been sold for almost £200 and even the excellent reproduction ones were being sold at £150 a pair (all gone now).

However help is at hand. It’s been known about for a few years but for some reason it’s been largely ignored. You can replace the drop links for about + -£15.00 !!!!

Roberto Magno has a super 1.3HLE that he wanted to put a front anti roll bar on. I had a spare 2.0EFi roll bar, managed to track down a set of U clamps and sourced the 2 rubber bushes FAM4493 (still available at Rimmers and elsewhere). Of course the real challenge was going to be the drop links. I knew about the use of VW Golf Mk.II links that fit, also knowing that the inside diameter of the rubber bush was larger than the diameter of the bar. It does need to have a thin piece of tubing placed along the bar to make the drop fit properly (see photos).
    Roberto made the adaptation by putting a short length of tube on the end of the anti-roll bar (see photos). He did a great job. Roberto used a pair of Meyle Golf II links.
    So no need to scour the internet trying to source those hen’s teeth OEM parts, the Golf links can be found almost everywhere for about £15.00 or less..
    Attached Files

Thanks for this, I love a good workaround. Could you give us some clues about the exact parts we might need to buy to achieve same result? Eg tube dimensions?

Thanks. Ps the underside looks well tidy...

George

Comment

Originally posted by grogee View Post
      Thanks for this, I love a good workaround. Could you give us some clues about the exact parts we might need to buy to achieve same result? Eg tube dimensions?

George

George, I'll assume you'll only need to purchase the drop links, I got hold of a pair of Meyle VW Golf II for Roberto. You'll need to measure the inside diameter of the drop link you buy (there are 4 or 5 manufacturers selling them) the VW part number is: 191 411 315 A, the Meyle nr is : 1004110005/S
      then find suitable tubing.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by grogee View Post

George
        dimensions are on here https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...solved-i-think and a few more pictures. The sleeve is about the same size as old 1/2" copper pipe iirc

Comment

Thanks guys, just seen this post after searching high and low for original link bushes for my 2.0 lxi Montego estate. I will now copy this idea as I have just put it back on the road and my link bush has snapped.

Comment

Originally posted by MBrooke View Post
            Thanks guys, just seen this post after searching high and low for original link bushes for my 2.0 lxi Montego estate. I will now copy this idea as I have just put it back on the road and my link bush has snapped.
            The guy who did this conversion, Roberto, then took his Maestro down to Italy, where he drove it around the hairpins like a Ferrari ;-)

Comment

My Montego is pretty quick as I have chucked the cat out fitted 4 prong plugs 10mm leads k & n air filter etc. Don’t think I’ll be taking it to Italy to try round some air pins though when I have fitted the new anti roll bar bushes which I have just got all four bushes for less than £30. I’m hoping to remove the anti roll bar and replace all of the bushes next week.
              Thanks
              Mick

Comment

Originally posted by MBrooke View Post
                My Montego is pretty quick as I have chucked the cat out fitted 4 prong plugs 10mm leads k & n air filter etc. Don’t think I’ll be taking it to Italy to try round some air pins though when I have fitted the new anti roll bar bushes which I have just got all four bushes for less than £30. I’m hoping to remove the anti roll bar and replace all of the bushes next week.
                Thanks
                Mick
                Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X