Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Turbo problem

Hi All.
    hope everyone is doing good. #384 has been behaving itself very well recently. Oh dear, thats a recipe for disaster.
    Got a bit of a problem which has only come on in the last couple of weeks.
    The Carb Cooling fan seems to have stopped working, when i turn the engine off it should run for 10 mins or so, but doesnt.
    I did a few basic preliminary checks, which didnt solve the issue, so, plan some more extensive investigations later this week with the multi-meter and cables.
    I know Pete, if you are reading this, that you had a similar problem with your Turbo a while back, but cant remember what you did to resolve it.
    not too much of a problem this time of year but come summer, it could have adverse starting problems
    All thoughts and ideas gratefully accepted.
    Thanks.
    Tom

Its probably the timer module that has developed a fault. Its located on the top of the glovebox roof. I've tried three replacements so far and none have completely fixed the problem. The one I have fitted at the moment works intermittently. TBH I don't get a problem with it not working, as on most occasions I use the car, the engine will have cooled naturally between starts.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Thanks Pete.
      Gonna check that the fan hasent siezed, then check if voltage is going to the fan, once engine up to temp.
      I am no car electrics expert, but would have thought that there must be a relay involved somewhere as well, may be wrong, as thought the fan would draw too much current to supply power from the control module.
      Will keep you posted. have a couple of ideas just in case.
      Best wishes
      Tom.

Comment

The carb cooling fan only comes on if the coolant temperature is above 90c. Sometimes when the weather is cold it doesn't operate.
        Cooling fan operates via the thermostatic switch connected to fan delay unit connected to the fan. The delay unit is a red box as Pete said on the top of the glove box. There isn't a relay as such
        As the weather is cold atm I wouldn't worry about it
        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 31st January 2023, 14:52.
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Thanks Jeff.
          Lets see when the weather warms up.
          Cheers

Comment

Working...