Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Heater Pipes

Hi

While driving the car for its first week after it has been stood for two years, I have discovered bright green fluid dripping into the passenger footwell. I have traced this to two black heater pipes coming from the engine bay which terminate at a joint with three allen bolts, behind the radio. The fluid appears to originate from the join at the union of the pipes. I have tightened up the three bolts but am still unsucessful in stopping the leak.

Has anyone 'been there done that' who could possibly help out?

Regards
    Martin
    Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
    173,000 miles.

I've just done mine, so here is how it is done.

Do not assume it is the joint, the leak maybe from further up the pipe as mine was. Pop the bonnet and you will see two pipes entering the bulk head on the right hand side, remove them by unscrewing the joint fastenings and pull the pipes off.

Then under the dash unscrew the three allen bolts and remove the pipes.
    Check the pipes for corrosion both inside and out ( mine had a hole higher up the pipe)

Replace the pipes using a flange joining compound, I used instant gasket.

Replace the pipes under the bonnet and refill the cooling system, runing the engine to make sure there are no air locks.

And then BOB is your dads brother.

Comment

Rover supply a nice big rubber gasket for that joint BAU 4988.

Comment

Self Repairing Maestro

Well after continuing to drive the car it appears the leak has fixed itself! I've had no drips for the past three days. I can only assume that the heat generated from daily use has caused the seal to swell up and plug the leak.

If it comes back I'll know what to do for a proper repair next time.
        Burgundy 1987 Maestro 1.6L
        173,000 miles.

Comment

Just to be on the safe side I would see to it now. For the sake of a few hours work it will save a lot of hassle in the long run.

I was lucky!!! mine went not too far from home, the one before went on the motorway and cost more than the price of the part.
          Best to drain & flush the system, check & clean your pipes, (A bottle washer brush is good for this) seal them with flange sealer and then the job is done.

A tip for you: If your pipes do go, by pass the heater system by disconnecting the two pipes that lead into the heater matrix pipes through the bulk head.

Remove the one ( the lower one) that leads to the thermostat housing completley and join the other pipe ( the higher one) to the housing. This will by pass the heater system and get you home, albeit without a heater, but it works.

Comment

[QUOTE=D813YBB]Well after continuing to drive the car it appears the leak has fixed itself! I've had no drips for the past three daysQUOTE]

Hi, I know that it might be risking stating the obvious, but you have checked the coolant level is not too low since the leak. Easy to overlook in the circumstances.

Cheers Gary

Comment

Whey.. some one with my problem at last..

Need to do mine aswell..

Looks for coolant in the bottle* ohwell ..

Comment

Originally posted by F915-NWC
                Whey.. some one with my problem at last..

Need to do mine aswell..

Looks for coolant in the bottle* ohwell ..

that wont do your can no goog mate lol

Comment

Originally posted by ben rawlings
                  that wont do your can no goog mate lol

Proberly Wont do it much good either :laugh:

Its low .. not dry.

wouldnt let it happen

Comment

Kettle calling the pot black.....

Proberly ????

Comment

Just to let everyone know that these pesky pipes are still alive and leaking !! 4 days ago just returning from the weekly blast and saw foot well awash with greenish water. So as quick as a cat whipped mats, carpet and underfelt out. There was some damp on the outside where heater pipes stick out. Out with the front seats, off with the 2 radiator hoses and will wiggle myself under the the dash (my LHD car) to undo the pipes, they're in good nick but the joint with matrix is brown/rust. Got me some new wire hose clips, new gasket/flange from Rimmers on its way to me and a 90° silicone connector to connect the 2 rad hoses if it turns out to be a bigger job. Oh Happy Days!! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200629_162751034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	330936 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200629_170136715.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.5 KB ID:	330937 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200629_162635317.jpg Views:	0 Size:	323.0 KB ID:	330938

Comment

Took my pipes off and gave them a clean up...........hey-ho !! Rubbish bin for these meethinks and try and find a replacement. Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripped down heater pipes (7).jpg
Views:	347
Size:	750.4 KB
ID:	331441 Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripped down heater pipes (2).jpg
Views:	315
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	331442 Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripped down heater pipes (3).jpg
Views:	326
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	331443

Comment

Can you use liquid metal on those to plug the holes?
                          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                          2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                            Can you use liquid metal on those to plug the holes?
                            That's a good question, the previous owner had done that, when I started stripping of the paint I could see that they had done that. I believe I've found a set of new/old ones so may be OK.

Comment

Working...
                            X