Wrong cylinder head gasket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong cylinder head gasket!

Hi Guys! After fitting a new re conditioned turbo today I went to put the head back on only to find that the gasket was the wrong one I bought the head set from Rimmer brothers a few months back and 4 of the valve stems were of the new type. I should have been suspicious then and checked the head gasket but assumed it'd be ok. Its taken so long to put it back together due to lack of money to buy the turbo so I'm not sure if they will replace it or I'll have to buy another one. I've already used some of the gaskets that fitted. The gasket is only different in that one of the oil way holes is out of line. My old one has an oval hole but new one has a smaller round one. Has anyone came across this before? Its a big set back because I need the car to go my holidays in 3 weeks time. Also I have misplaced my oil feed pipe fpr the turbo. Put it somewhere safe but cant find it. Does anyone have one spare for sale in case I cant get mine? Been trying to get the car on the road properly for over a year now and it just isn't happening. I wont give up though lol! Car is an 88 e reg mg monty turbo. The guy in rimmer bros said a lot of changes were made in this year so mine is harder to get the correct bits. thanks David

the Unipart number for the early oval hole head set is GUG701174 HS, and the head gasket on its own is GUG 702594 HG. The XPart no. for the gasket is LVB702594EVA however they are hard to find I think. Earlier this year the only place that had stock was Damen & Kroes in Holland...
    midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

I don't know if this is relevant or not but, early on in production the head gasket for the N/A 2.0l engine, the part spec superceeded to use the early turbo gasket in an attemp to cure the oil leak from the oil feed (unsuccessfully as it turned out). It follows that if you can still get oval hole N/A gaskets they will be ok for use with the turbo engine as they were all using the same gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by mgdavid View Post
        the Unipart number for the early oval hole head set is GUG701174 HS, and the head gasket on its own is GUG 702594 HG. The XPart no. for the gasket is LVB702594EVA however they are hard to find I think. Earlier this year the only place that had stock was Damen & Kroes in Holland...
        Thanks David I have taken a note of the part numbers and will call unipart in the morning. The company in holland show they have one in stock but a bit expensive at around 35 without postage. Good to know they have one though. Moto build also have one with the oval oil way so that it fits both types but it is the whole head set and is around 55. I'll call around tomorrow and see what my local motor factors have to offer. I'm a bit funny about not fitting the genuine one though! dont want to have to replace it again in the near future

Comment

Originally posted by G Force View Post
          I don't know if this is relevant or not but, early on in production the head gasket for the N/A 2.0l engine, the part spec superceeded to use the early turbo gasket in an attemp to cure the oil leak from the oil feed (unsuccessfully as it turned out). It follows that if you can still get oval hole N/A gaskets they will be ok for use with the turbo engine as they were all using the same gasket.
          Thanks! I will call around tomorrow and see if anyone has one for the standard 2.0 engine. I take it n/a means normally aspirated? Is it a common fault then on 2.0 engines to leak oil from the distributor cap end?

Comment

Originally posted by wee_dav View Post
            ..... Is it a common fault then on 2.0 engines to leak oil from the distributor cap end?
            yes!
            it's the main weakness of the O series...
            midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Thanks! I will call around tomorrow and see if anyone has one for the standard 2.0 engine. I take it n/a means normally aspirated? Is it a common fault then on 2.0 engines to leak oil from the distributor cap end?
              A Payen head gasket does the job just fine. You need an oval hole gasket
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Hi Jeff got a Payne one today from my local motor factors. The got it from Sheffield. Hope to fit it this weekend

Comment

Hi Jeff got a Payne one today from my local motor factors. The got it from Sheffield. Hope to fit it this weekend
                  Well done

Comment

Hi have you got the part number for the Payne set because I need to get one soon for my turbo
                    Cheers mick

Comment

Originally posted by hairyone View Post
                      Hi have you got the part number for the Payne set because I need to get one soon for my turbo
                      Cheers mick
                      Mick, I thought you had got hold of one already, and the spelling for it in case your looking somewhere is Payen not Payne

Comment

Originally posted by hairyone View Post
                        Cheers mick
                        Hi! Sorry for late reply. I'll try and find the packaging for the gasket and get part number for you tomorrow. Cheers

Comment

I know this thread is approaching being 6 years old but I have a 2.0 EFi engine, 1986 that leaks from distributor cap end. A year ago it was more like oil condensation (see photo) but now it seems to be dribbling, no wet floors yet and oil level seems stable but worse than it was a year ago. Do they just one day "go" and need then replacing? or is it worth doing now. I've got a Payen DN671 gasket set which appears to be the correct one.

Comment

They were famous for leaking oil there, the later ones had the hole in the head in line with the hole in the block and a round hole in the gasket, I think that these ones were less bad. I've not seen it mentioned in connection with the 2.0 but on the 1600 s series (also famous for oil leaks), unipart gaskets came with a recommendation to smear a thin layer of hylomar on the gasket around the oil feed hole, but nowhere else...not tried it yet, so don't know if it works or not. I guess that whether or not you replace the gasket depends on how annoying you find the oil stain. I haven't heard of any catastrophic failures in this area, just annoying dribbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post

I know this thread is approaching being 6 years old but I have a 2.0 EFi engine, 1986 that leaks from distributor cap end. A year ago it was more like oil condensation (see photo) but now it seems to be dribbling, no wet floors yet and oil level seems stable but worse than it was a year ago. Do they just one day "go" and need then replacing? or is it worth doing now. I've got a Payen DN671 gasket set which appears to be the correct one.
                              As John says, it won't damage anything as just an annoying leak. Changing a headgasket is quite easy but you'll also need another manifold gasket. If taking the head off with the manifolds attached mind out for a broken stud thay attaches to the downpipe as they can snap easily. While changing the gasket I would also change the cam seals and any core plugs you can get to

Comment

Working...
                              X