Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Column switches not the same as Maestro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robert1
    replied
    I don't think there is such an adjustment. What might have happened is one track rod end might have been changed with one of a different length. When tracking is done they like to have the same number of free threads on each side so some one might have moved the steering wheel on its splines. If the car has power steering there will be a locking pin hole in the rack to lock the steering straight ahead.
    If that is not the trouble then maybe the UJ between the rack and column have been incorrectly assembled.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    They changed from a nut to a bolt in about 1988ish on face lift cars. Do you have a picture of what you mean about the switch gear etc as this would be the rover type switches? Have a look at my dash removal thread as that may help as it was my gsi so face lift and the steering surround has to be removed
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 19th October 2022, 18:04.

Leave a comment:

• Sussex Pete
    started a topic Column switches not the same as Maestro?

Column switches not the same as Maestro?

South east based club member with a 1989 Montego has been asking me for help in getting his column switches to be correctly aligned. I had taken it that Montego and Maestro from the same era would use common parts. Wrong! On his Montego the steering wheel is fitted to the column with a bolt, not a nut and the column switch plate does not have the clamping screw under the indicator self-cancelling collar. Then the switches do not have the clips that you squeeze together to allow the switch to slide out of the switch plate. Instead there is a red moulding that looks like it might have a role in switch removal. Main question that needs answering here, is where is the clamp bolt or screw that will allow the switch plate to be rotated around the column? Should it also lock into position when pressed down the outer column far enough? Any help or advice will be appreciated
Working...
X