Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Column switches not the same as Maestro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Column switches not the same as Maestro?

South east based club member with a 1989 Montego has been asking me for help in getting his column switches to be correctly aligned. I had taken it that Montego and Maestro from the same era would use common parts. Wrong! On his Montego the steering wheel is fitted to the column with a bolt, not a nut and the column switch plate does not have the clamping screw under the indicator self-cancelling collar. Then the switches do not have the clips that you squeeze together to allow the switch to slide out of the switch plate. Instead there is a red moulding that looks like it might have a role in switch removal. Main question that needs answering here, is where is the clamp bolt or screw that will allow the switch plate to be rotated around the column? Should it also lock into position when pressed down the outer column far enough? Any help or advice will be appreciated
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

They changed from a nut to a bolt in about 1988ish on face lift cars. Do you have a picture of what you mean about the switch gear etc as this would be the rover type switches? Have a look at my dash removal thread as that may help as it was my gsi so face lift and the steering surround has to be removed
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 19th October 2022, 18:04.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I don't think there is such an adjustment. What might have happened is one track rod end might have been changed with one of a different length. When tracking is done they like to have the same number of free threads on each side so some one might have moved the steering wheel on its splines. If the car has power steering there will be a locking pin hole in the rack to lock the steering straight ahead.
      If that is not the trouble then maybe the UJ between the rack and column have been incorrectly assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by robert1 View Post
        I don't think there is such an adjustment. What might have happened is one track rod end might have been changed with one of a different length. When tracking is done they like to have the same number of free threads on each side so some one might have moved the steering wheel on its splines. If the car has power steering there will be a locking pin hole in the rack to lock the steering straight ahead.
        If that is not the trouble then maybe the UJ between the rack and column have been incorrectly assembled.
        It's the switch plate that's the problem and nothing to do with tracking etc to line up the indicator and windscreen wiper switch plate has nothing to do with tracking Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          They changed from a nut to a bolt in about 1988ish on face lift cars. Do you have a picture of what you mean about the switch gear etc as this would be the rover type switches? Have a look at my dash removal thread as that may help as it was my gsi so face lift and the steering surround has to be removed
          Thanks for the pointer Jeff. I have got pictures, but not totally clear about the position of the switch assembly, just the red insert in the switch body.
          Membership Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by robert1 View Post
            As Jeff said, apparently the switch assembly is about ten degrees off horizontal, that is all.
            Membership Secretary

Comment

All of the Montego switches that I've come across do have the clips to take the switches out & have been the same as the Maestro.. photos might help

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post

Thanks for the pointer Jeff. I have got pictures, but not totally clear about the position of the switch assembly, just the red insert in the switch body.
                With the main screw at the bottom loosened, but not too much, maneuver the switch plate until the hazard light top is vertical and the switches are horizontal then push, the switch assembly locks into the steering column then you tighten the bottom screw. I don't get what you mean about the red insert, do you mean the hazard light unit?
                Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th October 2022, 07:41.

Comment

With the main screw at the bottom loosened, but not too much, maneuver the switch plate until the hazard light top is vertical and the switches are horizontal then push, the switch assembly locks into the steering column then you tighten the bottom screw. I don't get what you mean about the red insert, do you mean the hazard light unit?
                  This appears to be the first sticking point. I am told that there is NO screw below the self-cancelling ring. Just a blank plate. The attached photos sent to me focus on this red insert rather than looking to where the clips are or should be. Removal of the switches is really of secondary importance as it is the alignment of the assembly that needs fixing. I can't think of how to help the guy if there is no clamp screw on the face of the plate.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	336421 Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	336422
                  Membership Secretary

Comment

Pete, can you get the guy to take a front view and not the side as those red parts are the clamps/connections for the main switches wiring loom and nothing to do with the fixing of the main unit to the steering column. That also looks central to me from those pictures and in the right place
                    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th October 2022, 12:21.

Comment

Should be as these and you can just see the red parts thought all wiring connections are still squeeze fit and release, so if you can get a front view we can go on from there as it maybe that the screw has come out
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th October 2022, 10:57.

Comment

Pete, can you get the guy to take a front view and not the side as those red parts are the clamps/connections for the main switches wiring loom and nothing to do with the fixing of the main unit to the steering column. That also looks central to me from those pictures and in the right place
                        Ah! The problems of telephone support with someone whose technical skills have probably diminished with age. Good point about the screw being missing, so yes, next request will be the front view and see where we go from there.
                        Membership Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
                          All of the Montego switches that I've come across do have the clips to take the switches out & have been the same as the Maestro.. photos might help
                          Yeah you can see them in petes pictures, all connections are the same throughout. The only differences as you know were in the early models that had a small light to light up the switches.

Comment

Yeah you can see them in petes pictures, all connections are the same throughout. The only differences as you know were in the early models that had a small light to light up the switches.
                            I did wonder if I'd missed something here, but now see that it does all look the same...that's a relief

Comment

Got some pictures of his setup. He does have the clamping screw, but even with this removed, he cannot move the switch assembly in any direction. Sounds like it's been forced into place at sometime in the past by a ham-fisted mechanic and now won't move. Thankfully it is only about ten degrees off horizontal so he will live with it as is. Still claims to not see the clips to slide the switches out of the holder, though....!
                              Last edited by Sussex Pete; 30th October 2022, 14:28.
                              Membership Secretary

Comment

Working...
                              X