Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Column switches not the same as Maestro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Yes that's off centre so he should look further down the steering column to add washers under one side of the clamp bracket under the dash to centralize if he can't remove. He's also not trying enough to remove the switch plate as they do clamp firmly but It's also a mistake to completely remove the locating screw the other side of it has a plastic clamp on a spring and its a pain to get that back in properly so he's lucky there
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 7th November 2022, 17:04.

Leave a comment:

• Sussex Pete
    replied
    Pictures of the offending column switch assembly. First before disassembly, showing the clamp screw in position then with the clamp screw completely removed as well as the fibre optic bulb cap also being removed. He is adamant that in this situation he cannot ull, push or twist the assembly to get it completely horizontal so is going to live with is as it is.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0011.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	336526 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0012.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	336527

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Needs to loosen the screw but not too much, pull and twist on the centre section and it should move. Maybe give it a little knock forward as well. He obviously needs my glasses if he can't see the squeeze clamps. We can see the on his pictures. It does look from the pics you've put up is it's central so will wait till you put the front facing up.
    Can you post the pictures Pete so we can assist on centralising it?
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 24th October 2022, 08:21.

Leave a comment:

• Sussex Pete
    replied
    Got some pictures of his setup. He does have the clamping screw, but even with this removed, he cannot move the switch assembly in any direction. Sounds like it's been forced into place at sometime in the past by a ham-fisted mechanic and now won't move. Thankfully it is only about ten degrees off horizontal so he will live with it as is. Still claims to not see the clips to slide the switches out of the holder, though....!
    Last edited by Sussex Pete; 30th October 2022, 14:28.

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Yeah you can see them in petes pictures, all connections are the same throughout. The only differences as you know were in the early models that had a small light to light up the switches.
    I did wonder if I'd missed something here, but now see that it does all look the same...that's a relief

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
    All of the Montego switches that I've come across do have the clips to take the switches out & have been the same as the Maestro.. photos might help
    Yeah you can see them in petes pictures, all connections are the same throughout. The only differences as you know were in the early models that had a small light to light up the switches.

Leave a comment:

• Sussex Pete
    replied
    Pete, can you get the guy to take a front view and not the side as those red parts are the clamps/connections for the main switches wiring loom and nothing to do with the fixing of the main unit to the steering column. That also looks central to me from those pictures and in the right place
    Ah! The problems of telephone support with someone whose technical skills have probably diminished with age. Good point about the screw being missing, so yes, next request will be the front view and see where we go from there.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Should be as these and you can just see the red parts thought all wiring connections are still squeeze fit and release, so if you can get a front view we can go on from there as it maybe that the screw has come out
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th October 2022, 10:57.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Pete, can you get the guy to take a front view and not the side as those red parts are the clamps/connections for the main switches wiring loom and nothing to do with the fixing of the main unit to the steering column. That also looks central to me from those pictures and in the right place
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th October 2022, 12:21.

Leave a comment:

• Sussex Pete
    replied

With the main screw at the bottom loosened, but not too much, maneuver the switch plate until the hazard light top is vertical and the switches are horizontal then push, the switch assembly locks into the steering column then you tighten the bottom screw. I don't get what you mean about the red insert, do you mean the hazard light unit?
    This appears to be the first sticking point. I am told that there is NO screw below the self-cancelling ring. Just a blank plate. The attached photos sent to me focus on this red insert rather than looking to where the clips are or should be. Removal of the switches is really of secondary importance as it is the alignment of the assembly that needs fixing. I can't think of how to help the guy if there is no clamp screw on the face of the plate.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	336421 Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	336422

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post

Thanks for the pointer Jeff. I have got pictures, but not totally clear about the position of the switch assembly, just the red insert in the switch body.
    With the main screw at the bottom loosened, but not too much, maneuver the switch plate until the hazard light top is vertical and the switches are horizontal then push, the switch assembly locks into the steering column then you tighten the bottom screw. I don't get what you mean about the red insert, do you mean the hazard light unit?
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th October 2022, 07:41.

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    All of the Montego switches that I've come across do have the clips to take the switches out & have been the same as the Maestro.. photos might help

Leave a comment:

• Sussex Pete
    replied
    Originally posted by robert1 View Post
    I don't think there is such an adjustment. What might have happened is one track rod end might have been changed with one of a different length. When tracking is done they like to have the same number of free threads on each side so some one might have moved the steering wheel on its splines. If the car has power steering there will be a locking pin hole in the rack to lock the steering straight ahead.
    If that is not the trouble then maybe the UJ between the rack and column have been incorrectly assembled.
    As Jeff said, apparently the switch assembly is about ten degrees off horizontal, that is all.

Leave a comment:

• Sussex Pete
    replied
    They changed from a nut to a bolt in about 1988ish on face lift cars. Do you have a picture of what you mean about the switch gear etc as this would be the rover type switches? Have a look at my dash removal thread as that may help as it was my gsi so face lift and the steering surround has to be removed
    Thanks for the pointer Jeff. I have got pictures, but not totally clear about the position of the switch assembly, just the red insert in the switch body.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by robert1 View Post
    I don't think there is such an adjustment. What might have happened is one track rod end might have been changed with one of a different length. When tracking is done they like to have the same number of free threads on each side so some one might have moved the steering wheel on its splines. If the car has power steering there will be a locking pin hole in the rack to lock the steering straight ahead.
    If that is not the trouble then maybe the UJ between the rack and column have been incorrectly assembled.
    It's the switch plate that's the problem and nothing to do with tracking etc to line up the indicator and windscreen wiper switch plate has nothing to do with tracking Robert

Leave a comment:

Working...
X