No announcement yet.

Modified MG Maestro Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel injecting the 8v engine is the single best thing you can do with the 8V engine, you gain more area under the curve everywhere and have better control with detonation.

Below are links to a 8V engine which produced 405 shire horse power on a proper engine dyno and 473 pony power on a rolling road and that was with modified standard manifolds. Contact: Owen Developments or Tavikess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erzbe7qvfGA&feature=plcp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKgRt...re=context-cha

I find it funny when peeps go on about the 1.8T Audi engine, for sure it's a good engine but I remember when the green monster over took a 450hp Audi quattro for the lead in a race and the Maestro was only running 340hp at the time. Is the Audi engine lacking torque compared to the 8V?

It's fundamental numbers that count not the badge.

Comment

obviously we don't know the spec of the audi you took apart but with your 'Everything lightened to the bare minimum' approach you probably weighed 500kilos less! 340bhp in a tonne maestro would be fierce, in yours it must be insane!

We do need a build thread of your slow grow maestro on here Matt

Comment

You say modified standard manifolds, what did you do to them? Also what were the internals? Were they standard too?
        Originally posted by TEAM78 View Post
        Below are links to a 8V engine which produced 405 shire horse power on a proper engine dyno and 473 pony power on a rolling road and that was with modified standard manifolds. Contact: Owen Developments or Tavikess

Comment

New mg maestro turbo website

I thought I would build a new website this weekend about modifying the mg maestro turbo. So I did - here's the link http://www.mgmaestroturbo.com/

This is an updated version over my old website that was on line some time ago. Keep checking back now and then as I have a lot more content to upload.

I would appreciate some feedback guys ?
          Last edited by Mike Brock; 18th February 2013, 05:54.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Excellent job !!!!!

Comment

Thanks Carl glad you liked it.

Comment

A great site Mike. Very informative. It would be good to collect all available infomation on tuning these underated machines, esp the 8V.

Comment

You say modified standard manifolds, what did you do to them? Also what were the internals? Were they standard too?

We used a standard long branch EFI inlet manifold and a standard turbo exhaust manifold and then grafted them around each other.

The internals were a steel crank and rods with specially designed pistons ETC ETC.. it was mapped up to 8000 rpm where it was still producing over 300 bhp!

Comment

Nice to rev out to 8k, impressive. Did the pistons drop the compression ratio a lot? Did you opt for a bigger turbo too? t4? I'd love to have an 8v injection project, sadly I don't think I'll find the time in the next few years.
                    Originally posted by willsy76 View Post
                    We used a standard long branch EFI inlet manifold and a standard turbo exhaust manifold and then grafted them around each other.

The internals were a steel crank and rods with specially designed pistons ETC ETC.. it was mapped up to 8000 rpm where it was still producing over 300 bhp!

Comment

No we raised the compression up from standard to reduce turbo lag. The turbo we ran with was specified for over 500 BHP, so it was incorrect for that particular engine but the plan was always to produce the higher BHP engine in the near future and we didnt want to waste money on a intermediate turbo. The turbo was physically so large it prevented the fitting of the o/s drive shaft, you had to assemble the drive shaft into the gear box and fit the gear box on to the engine whilst it was in the car. It was not very easy to work on to say the least and ultimatley slowed down development.

Comment

how are you getting on with the rebuild? Any progress or too many other project on atm?

Comment

We are currently producing the new carbon fibre panels and having the front suspension machined. Hope to hit the track next season!

Comment

Nice, I'd love to see your progress, if there is anything you can show without giving too much of your game away to your competition!

Comment

Originally posted by willsy76 View Post
                              The new twin carb mounting points were machined from a solid alloy billet - then tapered and TIG welded together. The internals have been opened up for improved flow. Particular attention was made to the throat area where old manifold meets new carb mounts as this had to smoothed to blend in with manifold internals. See pic. Ports were opened up at where manifold meets ported cylinder head inlets for smooth flow.

Couldn't afford a steal bottom end lol. Bottom end has been balanced inc pulley/flywheel though - and forged JE pistons.

Comment

Wow Mike! Great to see you working on your car! I'll be following you all the way till you are finished.

Finally got 496 in my garage last weekend, can't wait to start working on her!
                                *****MG Maestro Turbo # 496*****
                                Follow me at
                                FourNineSix

Comment

Working...
                                X