I understand for my 1987 car I need a turbo specific head gasket with an oval oil hole. I’d be most grateful if anyone has one for sale. Many thanks. Matthew
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
MG Turbo head gasket set
Collapse
X
-
Has it gone again Matt?Originally posted by MatthewL View PostI understand for my 1987 car I need a turbo specific head gasket with an oval oil hole. I’d be most grateful if anyone has one for sale. Many thanks. Matthew1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
2004 MGZT V8. I love this car
-
If you click on the contact link on https://www.xjrover.co.uk/ I believe they should have the head gasket, if not a whole set..Originally posted by MatthewL View PostI understand for my 1987 car I need a turbo specific head gasket with an oval oil hole. I’d be most grateful if anyone has one for sale. Many thanks. Matthew
Comment
-
Seems it was never not gone. My duff torque wrench meant it wasn’t torqued right after the head skim. I then tightened to the correct torque after finding coolant on the oil. It’s evidently not fixed it so I think it’s a head-off, check, and new gasket. I checked the block fur cracks and the head was professionally skimmed so I think it’s an issue caused by the torque wrenchOriginally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
Has it gone again Matt?
Comment
-
Should be 33, then about 70 then 108 then redo all to check its 108nm. After 100 miles check again. You getting coolant in the oil or mayo in the oil filler pipe? Recheck the head bolt torque, then change the oil/filter. I'm also assuming you're putting a correct oil filter on it. DMGRS sell the correct one on their website under T series engines.Originally posted by MatthewL View Post
Seems it was never not gone. My duff torque wrench meant it wasn’t torqued right after the head skim. I then tightened to the correct torque after finding coolant on the oil. It’s evidently not fixed it so I think it’s a head-off, check, and new gasket. I checked the block fur cracks and the head was professionally skimmed so I think it’s an issue caused by the torque wrench
As far as I know Adrian doesn't have any turbo headgaskets.
Didn't Vinny do your headgasket or did you do it?
Rimmers sell round hole gaskets that can be adapted for oval holes but you may get a little oil leak later, which is usual on an O series. You can remove the oval seal on your old gasket or buy a cheap oval hole gasket and put it on your round hole once you've removed the round copper seal and cut the gasket for the round seal to fit. Use a tiny bit of sealant round the seal and it should be ok. It can be done as i've had to do that in the past. Diesel manifold gaskets can also be adapted to fit if you need. If you're stuck i have a diesel manifold gasket spareLast edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th September 2026, 16:10.1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
2004 MGZT V8. I love this car
- 1 like
Comment
-
Hi Jeff. Vinny did the head gasket but with my problem torque wrench which is where I think it has gone wrong.
Adrian at XJ Rover has managed to sort me out with a turbo oval head gasket which is good news.
Where you refer to the oval seal I’m trying to picture what you mean. I don’t recall doing anything other than putting the gasket on, then the head and torquing the bolts in the pattern you describe. Is there a further rubber seal to fit?
Comment
-
Its the oval oil way seal in tbe headgasket, can either be plastic or copper. Round oil hole was always copper.
Good to know adrian has a gasket for you. How far out was your torque wrench?1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
2004 MGZT V8. I love this car
Comment
-
I’m not sure how far off it was. I know that after driving the car I could tighten the bolts in some cases as much as a full turn with the new torque wrench. I suppose it’s possible some of that would be the expected re-tightening but I think my wrench must have been a way off.
Comment
-
Ah that bad, the head would have lifted if running at speed if it was that far out, so yeah i would say it's gone.1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
2004 MGZT V8. I love this car
Comment
-
At least it'll be easier this time. Should be all done in a day or if in no hurry, a weekend.Originally posted by MatthewL View PostYes, it was wild optimism on my part that it would be a successful fix. Head off again.1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
2004 MGZT V8. I love this car
Comment

Comment