Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gti

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Don't blame ya! Whats the efi like?

    Comment


    • #62
      Efi

      Is is quite nice, no rips in the interior the 2 arch's are all there, they had some bubbling so I rubbed them back and sprayed them black but didn't have time to finish. It flew threw the mot no advisorys what so ever but now has a sticky rear cylinder but I have a good spare one.

      Comment


      • #63
        Brake cylinder?

        Comment


        • #64
          Yea mate

          Comment


          • #65
            Looks like time is up for the GTi!

            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3012276963...t_3293wt_10278
            1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

            MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

            Comment


            • #66
              Shame to see this car is to be broken up now. But what happened to all the so-called deals and arrangements that were made for this car? I don't think I have seen messing about like this before!

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by MGMatt View Post
                Shame to see this car is to be broken up now. But what happened to all the so-called deals and arrangements that were made for this car? I don't think I have seen messing about like this before!
                Looks like the seller has been messed about. It's completed on eBay three times and not successfully completed.

                It looks like this messing around has cost the car it's future. Probably the last black GTi, being broken up for spares.
                1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

                MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

                Comment


                • #68
                  I went to see this car today. I'm glad I did as I nearly bought it blind yesterday.

                  Although it is a great project, it's not one that I would take on. The sills are like a patchwork quilt and the welds are not very tidy, possibly the worst bodged sills I've ever seen. Most of the body seams have bubbling, bleeding through the paintwork.

                  In my opinion, it would give someone a huge haul of spare parts but the bodywork would need significant work to get up to a high standard.

                  Shame.
                  1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

                  MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    "In my humble opinion"

                    Too many interested peeps telling the seller he had a "mega rare" car on his hands may have made him think he was sitting on a pot of cash.

                    Having had various potential buyers visit the car and no firm sale, the seller then listed it several times with a reserve likely to exceed the cars true value, and surprise surprise it failed to sell.

                    Most likely due to buyers closer inspection, finding it either "not as described" or just too far gone for the money.

                    I have seen this happen time and again, "its rare" " it's worth XXX".
                    9 times out of ten, yes it's a rare model or specification, but also 9 times out of ten it's a rot box, or close to it.

                    Many a Maestro and Montego have ended up with artificially inflated values due to the "It's rare brigade", not being able to hold their tongues when contacting a seller about a car.

                    Had it been offered at say, a 250.00 start, no reserve auction, it would likely be with a new owner by now, being either prepped for repair/restoration or donating it's parts to save others for a reasonable cost.

                    I currently have a 25k miles 2.0LX on the drive, Some messages I received have informed me it's price is too low for such a rare model and spec with ultra low miles etc.

                    Fact is, it's a rare spec Monty which has lost it's "Lustre" in the past 2-3 years due to lack of knowledge about just how quick they can deteriorate, and now it needs faults sorting which will need time, effort, and a decent amount of cash to make it "mint/Concourse" etc.

                    Don't get me wrong, it's deserving of the effort, but I bought it for my Dad, who has since decided, it might not be a good idea to start driving again at his age.

                    So my car was listed online at a "fair price" to attract the kind of buyer who would likely buy it and restore it, as the price is suitable for such a car regardless of how rare it is.

                    Happy to say it attracted such a buyer.

                    Had I followed the "it's rare" brigade in pricing it, it would likely be quite a while (if ever) a buyer turned up willing to "pay the premium price"
                    (Just hoping now they don't take too long to complete the sale.)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X