Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisM
    Northampton is NOT up North!!!
    Too right. There has never BEEN an MGSD 'up North' because many of the southern fairies think they fall off the planet when they pass Birmingham. It would be nice just once to attend a national event that wasn't at the end of a 3-4 hour drive for me (still a pain, camping or not), but I suspect few from 'down south' would attend because they, unlike us, would not be prepared to travel the distance. I can dream :laugh:
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
      Too right. There has never BEEN an MGSD 'up North' because many of the southern fairies think they fall off the planet when they pass Birmingham. It would be nice just once to attend a national event that wasn't at the end of a 3-4 hour drive for me (still a pain, camping or not), but I suspect few from 'down south' would attend because they, unlike us, would not be prepared to travel the distance. I can dream :laugh:
      John,

We are currently looking for a new venue next year that is further north.

regards,
      Patrick

Comment

On the other hand there are quite a few "southern fairies" who are rather fed up with everything being in the midlands and the north. You can't win

At the moment the weekend doesn't look good (yet again), especially Saturday. We'll see how things develop. Good luck, campers
        Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
        2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

To be fair to everyone just move the venue round each year.
          Sure & steadfast.
          BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
          1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
          1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple
            The MG 'M' Group chairman went to the showground yesterday and whilst it is quite wet, it has not been affected by the floods. There are therefore no plans to cancel the show.

Weather for Sunday is forecast to be warm (max of 20C) with intermittant showers.
            Sat/sun forcast is very very wet I hope we get told before if the show is cancelled
            Sure & steadfast.
            1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan
              On the other hand there are quite a few "southern fairies" who are rather fed up with everything being in the midlands and the north.
              Whoa Jon, I'm sobbing so much for you my keyboard is in danger of going short-circuit

From the events the MMOC typically has a presence at:

Cofton Park, Longridge = 119 miles for you, 154 miles for me;
              Cholmondley Castle = 218 miles for you, 88 miles for me (yeah! I win that one);
              Bromley Pageant = 66 miles for you, a WHOPPING 265!!! miles for me;
              Current location of MGSD = little more than 100 miles for you. 170 for me;
              BL Day at Pete Bog Horror = 129 miles for you, 195 miles for me;

...and on it goes. And these are just one direction. Sorry Jon, I'm willing to accept that the reason most events are 'down south' is because that's where the people are: plain fact. But it's very VERY rare that you ever end up travelling further to a 'national' event than what we northerners have to: everything is comparatively on your doorstep.
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

In Lincoln I am north of south and south of north and not in the midlands
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

not going now in my monty turbo as i not got the v5 in time.
                  we might be going in the 4x4 with all my kids
                  gutted i carn't go in the turbo

Comment

John - I'm not complaining! If I'm honest driving is something I'm fairly passionate about (after all that's what cars are for) so having to spend more of the day on the road than standing in a field is absolutely fine with me. Unless it's p*ssing down with rain of course.

There's certainly nothing wrong with moving a national event around every year as quite a few clubs do, advantages being you'll get some different cars and a hardcore who'll go anywhere. We do actually get quite a bit of feedback from members in the south who find events in general are too far away, so it's not just a problem confined to the north.

And just think of Alexander (threelitre) who manages to get to Peterborough and other UK events from Germany every year - that's commitment
                    Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
                    2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

may be [threelitre] hes got more ££s than most of us
                      Sure & steadfast.

Comment

MG Saloon Day

Originally posted by TLC
                        Sat/sun forcast is very very wet I hope we get told before if the show is cancelled
                        MG Saloon Day is still going ahead even if it is raining.

Comment

I would much rather travel further north than go to this site again, just hope next year isn't much further than Brum as it wont be so practicle to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan
                            We do actually get quite a bit of feedback from members in the south who find events in general are too far away, so it's not just a problem confined to the north.
                            Yep, I can imagine members in deepest Cornwall have similar travelling problems, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone posting from there? But other than that, anyone in the south east - even Kent - is travelling far less than we (generally) have to.
                            Regards
                            John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Distance is not always what it seems -

I do one 88 mile trip that takes me longer than one 132 mile trip I do.

At least coming down from 'up Norf' to the Midlands you'll be on a 3 lane road 95 per cent of the way!

Come up from Yokel country and while you've done 65 miles in 50 mins on the motorway, the yokel has managed 40 miles in an hour behind the tractors and villages!

All relevant.

Comment

I'll be there, rain or shine, with toothache
                                M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
                                X