Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Woes

Graham - if the car is off the road don't insure it, as others have said. You are not seriously thinking that you would claim on the insurance if the car was vandalised? It would get written-off even if one panel was dented.

I am still puzzled about these huge quotes. I'm 29 and when I was 17 it cost £200 extra to go on my mum's insurance. When I had my own car - a Maestro 1.3HLE - I paid £350 when I was 21. Then at 22 I bought an MG Maestro 2.0i and paid about £320 with my 1yr NCB. At 23 I bought an MG Maestro Turbo and paid £370. (TPFT on-street parking in Coventry)

From then on it has got cheaper as I have built up NCB. I think it costs us about £200 to insure our MG Maestro 1600. I really fail to see why it would cost ten times more now than it did for me.

Have you guys phoned up the numbers in the back of Fast Car and Revvs where companies advertise who cater for young drivers/fast cars/convicted drivers?

Comment

I bought my Step Daughter (17yr old provisional) a 1000cc M reg Micra (group 2) to practice her driving in. I put my 5 year ncd on the car, I'm (34) and put her on as named second driver we limited the policy to 5000 miles per annum. Through Direct Line that came out at £360 tpft.

When I got my Monty Turbo Diesel my insurance quotes were high because my ncd was on the Micra and the Monty is like group 14 or something stupid like that. Why??

But I found a company (www.quotelinedirect.co.uk) that were able to mirror my ncd off the Micra. So they gave me 3 years ncd on the Monty, so I'm paying £200 for it tpft.

My only concern is I had to claim on the Monty insurance this year for damage we did to my Dads car and garage. However 5 months on I have not been asked for the excess which I was due. So I'm going to sit tight, say nought and wait for the renewal to come through.

Graham
      Last edited by macwomble; 25th February 2005, 19:44.

Comment

^^^^^^
        Hello Graham, fancy seeing you over here

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroSpecial
          Ok thought I would post this here, as I believe it would be of some benefit to Graham.

I have been looking at insurance quotes for myself on my dads policy for 'GGT. Remember that this is a base model 1.3 Maestro...

My quotes so far, stating my posession of a Full license for TPFT cover, I have been quoted in the region of £2,000. My dad's 10 years NCB cannot be used on another policy so that makes it no picnic either.

Quotes for my own policy have been around the same mark also.

The lowest quote I can possibly acheive would be on my dad's policy for his Rover 75 1.8 - being in the region of £1,500. This is due to the fact that his NCB is on this policy.

I can't afford either of the above options. If I pay for my course of driving lessons/tests I will be left with a bank balance of £0.

So, unless I just pay for my dad to run 'GGT - the car and I are scr*wed. Either way, I just cannot insure anything.

Lets face it Steve, if you cant afford to insure a 1.3 at any age, you'd be best just selling the car to someone that can make some use of it (as you wont, ever). Dont say it means something to you, cause my last cossie meant something to me and I still sold it. When you grow up a bit you'll realise everything has a price.

I've been racing over 10 years now, MG's coming on five, I recently got offered two grand for my non tickford racing MG Maestro turbo, and told him to chase his tale (even although I valued it at £500) because I make full use of what I have.

The fact is if you cant make good use of the car then sell it to someone who can

Comment

In fully comp on my R100 for £700 and thats with my missus on provisonal licence as a named driver, bearing in mind that it would have been about £680 without her on there. Not the silly amounts of money that steve is saying anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Blair G
              Lets face it Steve, if you cant afford to insure a 1.3 at any age, you'd be best just selling the car to someone that can make some use of it (as you wont, ever). Dont say it means something to you, cause my last cossie meant something to me and I still sold it. When you grow up a bit you'll realise everything has a price.
              Unfortunately I don't follow the everything has a price idea......I would seriously say no to swapping my 1.3 for a brand new MGZR if I was offered with the clause the Maestro was to be scrapped.

Steve, get yourself down to the local supermarket, mcdonalds and get some application forms

PS:- Have you tried ringing around yet from thew yellow pages?
              Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

??

Originally posted by Blair G

I've been racing over 10 years now, MG's coming on five, I recently got offered two grand for my non tickford racing MG Maestro turbo, and told him to chase his tale (even although I valued it at £500) because I make full use of what I have.

The fact is if you cant make good use of the car then sell it to someone who can

I will afford it one day. Never say never. Oops, said it twice.

I don't care if you sold a car that meant alot to you. That is your choice. I sold a car not too long ago that meant alot to me, and I do regret it.

If you are suggesting that I should get rid of my Special, you can think again. It is here to stay, and nothing will change that. Perhaps when you grow up abit you will realise that not everything should be taken for it's monitary value - my car has huge sentimental value and is my #1 posession, even though it only cost me half a weeks shopping money.

_________

Thanks Linds, I will be making plans soon enough.
                Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Steve get your Dad to insure the car in his name and find a company that will mirror his ncd. Put you on as second driver. It won't cost the earth.

Graham

see my example further up re my step daughters micra.

Comment

Insurance

Originally posted by macwomble
                    Steve get your Dad to insure the car in his name and find a company that will mirror his ncd. Put you on as second driver. It won't cost the earth.

Graham

see my example further up re my step daughters micra.
                    Just tried that, Graham. Cheers!

I managed to get a quote of £985 - not too bad that. Providing they can mirror the NCB onto this policy, all is well.
                    Steve Worsley

Comment

Originally posted by Skatiechik
                      Unfortunately I don't follow the everything has a price idea......I would seriously say no to swapping my 1.3 for a brand new MGZR if I was offered with the clause the Maestro was to be scrapped.
                      Tell me you're joking, right?
                      Regards
                      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
                        Tell me you're joking, right?
                        Not joking at all. Why would I want a brand new car, that has as much characteristic as a loaf of bread? Much rather have my George, with his memories and quirks than a MGZR anyday.
                        Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I dont like any car with many electrics, the fun of driving is the control .. not a car that will flash lights to say your cornering to fast , or ure tyre pressures are on 0 PSI as all the new renaut ones do when you pass in-farred systems (speed camras etc) .

Old cars , old shapes , Old technology rules!

Comment

MG ZR

Originally posted by Skatiechik
                            Not joking at all. Why would I want a brand new car, that has as much characteristic as a loaf of bread? Much rather have my George, with his memories and quirks than a MGZR anyday.
                            I would love an MG ZR 105+ in Trophy Blue with the 'spider-leg' (no other way to describe) alloy wheels. There is one on my local Horners garage too.

However as Linds says, I wouldn't swap my car for one either.

Faggot is here to stay...
                            Steve Worsley

Comment

Old cars

Originally posted by F915-NWC
                              I dont like any car with many electrics, the fun of driving is the control .. not a car that will flash lights to say your cornering to fast , or ure tyre pressures are on 0 PSI as all the new renaut ones do when you pass in-farred systems (speed camras etc) .

Old cars , old shapes , Old technology rules!
                              How much (and what) have you driven Graham?

I prefer cars without PAS (i.e. My car) - the Nissan Almera I've been driving wanders about with the slightest movement. Not to mention the dashboard and upholstry are duff.
                              Steve Worsley

Comment

Glad to here I was of help Steve. Let me guess they cannot find out about the Mirror thing cos it's Saturday and the Insurance company ain't open only the broker. Did that to me too but it worked out in end. I'd never heard of this mirror thing before but afterwards I spoke to a mate who is a broker he told me it's not uncommon. Guess they don't advertise it as a option as they want us all to pay silly money. Best of Luck.

Graham Y

Comment

Working...
                                X