Which gearbox oil for 2.0 EFi 103bhp 1993

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gearbox oil for 2.0 EFi 103bhp 1993

In Haynes' Workshop Manual for the Montego 2.0 from 1983 to 1989 as well as in the the manual that came with the car when it was new, it can be read that engine oil 10W/30, 10W/40 and 15W/50 can be used. This to me looks strange. As far as I know engine oil should definitively not be used to fill the transmission reservoir. Who knows what oil I should use for the 5-speed tranny?

The recommendations changed over the years, iirc Rover said that engine oil was ok for topping up, but MTF 94 gear oil was the oil to use. Rimmers sell it (not cheap!) https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-STC9158 , it is also available from other suppliers, I use this https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...ion-fluid-4070 also available on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254938667458 and has a list of the specifications on the web site. Honda also sell their own version, but the spec to look out for is mtf94

Comment

Thanks! I added your infos into the Haynes workshop manual and I found some sellers within 15 km from my home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroen View Post
        Thanks! I added your infos into the Haynes workshop manual and I found some sellers within 15 km from my home.
        Not far to go then! I think a lot of oil companies started selling it when Land Rover started using the same oil...very lucky for us

Comment

Yes, on the internet I see that too: that LR owners are looking for it, discussing the high prices as well as alternatives.

Comment

In Haynes' Workshop Manual for the Montego 2.0 from 1983 to 1989 as well as in the the manual that came with the car when it was new, it can be read that engine oil 10W/30, 10W/40 and 15W/50 can be used. This to me looks strange. As far as I know engine oil should definitively not be used to fill the transmission reservoir. Who knows what oil I should use for the 5-speed tranny?
            Probably not relevant, but my Saab 9000 used 10W40 in the gearbox, and the manual was keen to point out that synthetic was not allowed... I don't know the engineering reason for this but I didn't argue.

I'd imagine the Honda box is very nicely made with tight tolerances and can therefore run with a nice thin oil.

Comment

Comment

I've been putting 10/40 in my Montego's for many years as that's on the lube list without any problems at all
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Maybe I'll do that when it turns out to be necessary to refresh the gearbox oil reservoir. The transmission oil with the right spec turned out to be quite expensive.

Comment

Maybe I'll do that when it turns out to be necessary to refresh the gearbox oil reservoir. The transmission oil with the right spec turned out to be quite expensive.
                    As long as it's a manual not auto

Comment

Not strictly related to this thread but back in the early 80's i helped a friend fit a recon (Gold Seal) manual gearbox to his Morris Minor 1000. Bearing in mind at that point in my driving career i had only been familiar with Ford MK3 Zephyr manual gearboxes and their pungent requirement for EP80 gearbox oil. Having read and re read the Minor manual i said this can't be right filling a manual gearbox with engine oil it doesn't make sense. So - we filled it with EP80. Less than 200 miles down the road the gearbox was wrecked. We took it back to the supplier who dipped his finger in the oil, gave it a quick sniff and promptly announced we had put the wrong oil in. A salutory lesson - despite what you think you may know always follow the manufacturers recommendation. I've checked the Rover manual and, as Jeff Turbo indicated for this engine/manual gearbox, 10/40 engine oil is the way to go. Too much to go into here but there are different variations on a theme for 1.3 and 1.6 manual gearboxes and whether topping up or complete replacement. Returning to Joens original message about what oil to use in a 1993 2.0 manual gearbox i hope this helps further to Jeff Turbos message. As further reassurrance when i bought my 2.0 1993 Montego estate i changed all the fluids including the manual gearbox oil. 10/40 engine oil was used and many 1000's miles later all is good.

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
                      1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
                      1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Are you going to the nec next month Arthur?

Comment

Yes, Zephyr, this is in such a sense helpful that it is a further reassurance to top up with or replace with 10W/40 engine oil. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                            Are you going to the nec next month Arthur?
                            Not this year Jeff. In fact it is 5 years since my last visit when i showed my Sapphire Blue Zephyr 4 auto but i can't see a re visit on the cards any time soon if at all. Hope all goes well on both the MK3ZZOC and MMOC club stands though.....

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
                            1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
                            1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Working...
                            X