EFi gearbox seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFi gearbox seals

I believe my Montego EFi has/had an oil leak which has contaminated the clutch. Still driveable and I topped up the box with some stopleak and seems to be ok now. However, at some point I plan to change the clutch and replace any oil seals. Is it the main shaft oil seal that goes and is it still available and easy enough to fit? Any other seals to check and replace?

The seal size is on here https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...arbox-bearings , gearbox is to dismantle to fit it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
      I believe my Montego EFi has/had an oil leak which has contaminated the clutch. Still driveable and I topped up the box with some stopleak and seems to be ok now. However, at some point I plan to change the clutch and replace any oil seals. Is it the main shaft oil seal that goes and is it still available and easy enough to fit? Any other seals to check and replace?
      Gearbox seal or crank seal leak,? As Johnny says if gearbox seal you'll you'll need to strip the front casing off. Unless you know what you're doing it's not a DIY job from experience. This is a picture with the casing off https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...o-into-gearbox
      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 31st July 2023, 09:40.
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Cheers guys. I am fairly competent with the spanners but never stripped a gearbox before. I have no idea what is leaking, so will need to take the box out first to see. I guess it makes sense to replace all seals at the same time if they are available. I actually had the car up on an MOT ramp on Sunday and was surprised that it didn't seem to have an inspection cover on the fly wheel. From memory my other cars had a small plate you could remove to see inside without taking out the box. Did they get rid of this on later boxes or was I just not looking carefully?

Comment

Cheers guys. I am fairly competent with the spanners but never stripped a gearbox before. I have no idea what is leaking, so will need to take the box out first to see. I guess it makes sense to replace all seals at the same time if they are available. I actually had the car up on an MOT ramp on Sunday and was surprised that it didn't seem to have an inspection cover on the fly wheel. From memory my other cars had a small plate you could remove to see inside without taking out the box. Did they get rid of this on later boxes or was I just not looking carefully?
          There isn't an inspection plate from memory. The gearbox bolts straight onto the rear engine plate, seals are the same as a PG1 gearbox
          Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 2nd August 2023, 14:46.

Comment

Cheers Jeff. Last time I split an engine and box on one of these was circa 1998. So basically the seals are standard on the PG1 box that was also fitted to later Rovers?

Comment

Cheers Jeff. Last time I split an engine and box on one of these was circa 1998. So basically the seals are standard on the PG1 box that was also fitted to later Rovers?
              Yes mate, one large one small for driveshaft seal gaskets , internal seals are also the same from memory

Comment

Working...
              X