This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
    Forum is much quicker and seems to be working ok for me now. Hopefully the teething troubles are reducing
    Pleased to hear it Jeff. Thank you for regularly letting me know of the glitches as and when you come across them. While we want to resolve your individual issues in doing so we improve the forum for everyone. Please keep reporting them by either let me know personally or via the new thread which I'm about to create. Thank you

Edit - here it is http://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/m...-use-the-forum
    Last edited by Tanya; 21st August 2016, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post

I disagree with your pricing and in my opinion you are very significantly out. This, coupled with your apparent lack of knowledge around security leads me to question your depth knowledge around websites, forums etc.Whilst my knowledge on how websites, forums etc work is poor, I have had to procure one for my business and also a charity which I chair. I know the needs of my business and likewise for the charity so the quotations are built on that.
      Are you able to explain these points or not?
      • Can you please explain what has been done to the backend?
      • What was significant?
      • Why was a server move yet again required?

What has caused you to perceive I have an apparent lack of knowledge about security? Is it because you are unable to answer the questions above so feel the need to attack me in an unsubstantiated claim?

The M&MOC's committee recieved three quotes and spoke to each company in detail. We had specific requirements which the committee had agreed. You were not part of the committee meetings or the tendering process so will not be privy to the details which are important when tendering.
      So you are unable to be transparent when being questioned about a substantial amount of members money. You were not asked to detail pricing structure, what T&C's were in place. You were asked the three technical questions above yet seem unable to answer them.

The committee is accountable to its members which is the basis on which we work. However, we are elected by the members to do the job and it is unreasonable and unworkable to have each and every decision and part of the decisions questioned at each point. The AGM is an opportunity for the members to review the committee and its decisions and elect a different committee should they see fit to.
      Yes they are accountable but from your above comment you are not willing to be accountable/transparent. I agree it is unreasonable to have every decision questioned, but we are not talking £30 odd quid for stationary we are talking about a significant proportion of membership money.

I will not be answering any further questions around the website's procurement or any other decision to do with the website. In my opinion I have given more than adequate responses. However, any member unhappy about this decision or any other the committee makes has the right to call an EGM and the details about how to do this can be found in the constitution - http://maestro.org.uk/about-us/constitution/
      I read this as you are unable to answer the simple technical questions I asked above so wheel out the constitution as a defence mechanism.

I am committed to listening to the quiet majority not just the vocal minority. As I have commented before it is natural to mainly hear from those who are unhappy; those who are happy with the club and website etc are just getting on with it. That said, I am frequently thanked by members for the effort and way the committee run the club and often complimented by those working in the classic car world who can appreciate the vision the committee has for the club.

Of course we want to continue to hear about glitches with the website and we work through teething difficulties so specific problems accompanied by details are welcome and needed. For example 'too much white space' wouldn't be one, but 'I can't upload photos to x thread' would be. I will start a new thread just for this being clear that the purpose of the thread is for reporting on glitches.

So you are committed to listen in the first paragraph but in the second paragraph only want to receive feedback that you are happy to hear.
      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Beaker, I have to say that I am finding the tone of your posts in this thread increasingly aggresive and verging on an affront to the integrity of the committee. For your information, prior to retiring, I spent 30 years working in a number of senior IT roles and have engaged contractors to carry out work such as this on a number of occasions. I also undertook the discussion with one of the companies contacted for this project as part of our due diligence, with the quotes provided by them all being of a very similar nature and amount.

I don't know why you feel that you can make a judgement regarding the potential cost for this work, because you have no knowledge of what the committee were asking to be carried out. In that respect your 3 emboldened questions at the beginning of your most recent post are not relevant to the operation of this forum and therefore does not need to be in the public domain. Indeed, it is my view that, as an ordinary member and no matter what roles you undertook previously with this club, you have no right to be made aware of that information, as long as the result provided does not reduce the facilities you had access to previously.
        Membership Secretary
        Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
        2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
        1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post
          Beaker,I don't know why you feel that you can make a judgement regarding the potential cost for this work, because you have no knowledge of what the committee were asking to be carried out. In that respect your 3 emboldened questions at the beginning of your most recent post are not relevant to the operation of this forum and therefore does not need to be in the public domain.
          I can't make a judgement as no-one will answer the simple technical questions hence I don't have the knowledge on what was carried out that is not visible. The questions should not be a difficult ask. It is significant amount of membership money and their is no need to be "cloak and dagger" about it.

I can only assume you don't know the answers to them either.

With two committee members not being able to answer the questions it can only lead me to conclude that some of the committee does not entirely understand the work that has been carried out.
          Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I can't believe that a club official is talking down to an ' ORDINARY' member telling them they have no rights to know how OUR membership subscription is being spent!
            If I didn't live in the wilds of East Anglia I would call for an EGM!

Comment

I can't believe its still going on. Give it a rest ffs.

We will have an AGM next year so you can year ask them then, all you have to do is put a motion forwards.

If you don't want to wait then call an EGM, you've already been told how.

Either put up or shut up.

Please...

(BTW it seems to have speeded up!)
              Last edited by Hobby; 21st August 2016, 17:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobby View Post

(BTW it seems to have speeded up!)
                Hurrah!

Thanks for the feedback - keep an eye on it and I'll keep working on it also!

Comment

I think we need to draw this thread to a close. I don't think that Pete was trying to talk down to an 'ordinary' forum member but to comment on the tone the thread has taken. Personally I am pleased that there is debate and feedback, and as I said on another thread we need to listen to feedback but we cannot please everyone all the time. Not everyone will agree with every decision the club makes but please be assured that we take no decisions lightly, they are considered and discussed and made. We were elected to do this and while its healthy to challenge and discuss its imperative that we keep it amicable. We struggled to fill the committee roles last year - and we all do this as volunteers in our own time so please do remember this. Everyone has a voice and opportunity to join in and get involved and the more that do the better!

So please keep feedback coming but keep it constructive and civil!!
                  1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                  1989 BMW 316i
                  2013 BMW 320d Touring
                  2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                  Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Yeah bored with this now, supposed to be about the forum.
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

to me the £2.5k paid for the website upgrade seems reasonable... if it was someone doing it in their spare time it would be a crazy sum of money, but this has been as a result of competitive tender between several professional firms - from what I've gained from this thread.

Throwing the contract to the cheapest price is not always the best bet. You have to compare the prices against the specification, and look at what each offer includes - at the end of the day you have a bunch of prices, some meet the criteria better than others, the cheaper ones will have often missed things out of their price, and a sum of money goes against that price to compensate against the higher fully inclusive prices. I''m sure the committee has been through all this.

With all that in mind it seems a reasonable request that the design specification for the website be published to the members, if the committee could do that it would silence a lot of these frustrated postings. I'm quite interested myself as to what its all been about. fair enough, some wont care but for those that do its an interesting subject.

I've no doubt that its all worthwhile stuff - but to 'ordinary' members, wondering what their £18.00 has been spent on it may also go some way into justifying the mebership fee....?

At this point - its absolutely not a case of put up or shut up (John Major would be proud) - this is just a case of people scrutinising the committee - if this didn't happen, it would be a bad thing. imagine if the committee were actually up to no good with members money and no one challenged it.... I'm confident in what I've seen that the committee is not ripping anyone off, but you cant fault people for scrutinising.

Andy
                      CURRENT FLEET:
                      1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                      1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                      1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                      2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                      1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

another minor issue - I've just had a message up when trying to reply, saying something like the text string entered did not match the image, not had that one before
                        CURRENT FLEET:
                        1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                        1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                        1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                        2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                        1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                          I can't believe that a club official is talking down to an ' ORDINARY' member telling them they have no rights to know how OUR membership subscription is being spent!
                          If I didn't live in the wilds of East Anglia I would call for an EGM!
                          The accounts will be presented at the AGM in November. These contain details of all the club's income and expenditure and the committee will be happy to answer questions about them. They will also be made available to all club members.

This is the usual way of transparency and accountability.

The accounts are also audited by someone not connected to the committee. Currently this can be anyone, although my preference would be to have them professionally audited in future if this is possible/feasible as this would offer better protection to both the club and committee.

Comment

I inadvertently left my tablet logged on ,it took my 5 minutes to actually get to this page.
                            I'm sorry and don't care who I offend now this forum is the absolute pits. It doesn't work properly .
                            If the management are listening it should be back to the old one with security updates or money back.
                            Now then I've been a member for nine years and a user of the forum for a lot longer. I've never caused trouble in the past but I'm absolutely furious at present. I am definitely not renewing my membership unless there is vote for an A GM the management of the club are not listening to the members one bit , I feel sorry for committee members of the past as I'm very sorry to say especially to Jeff as I don't have any faith in them now

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
                              another minor issue - I've just had a message up when trying to reply, saying something like the text string entered did not match the image, not had that one before
                              This is a strange one, because that's an error message that would come up when there's a Captcha in place (the validation thing that asks you to type the letters that you see in the image).

Did the Captcha itself come up? How did you manage to get past it?

If it does it again, could you grab a screen print of it and send it over to me? It would be good to see it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                                I inadvertently left my tablet logged on ,it took my 5 minutes to actually get to this page.
                                I'm sorry and don't care who I offend now this forum is the absolute pits. It doesn't work properly .
                                If the management are listening it should be back to the old one with security updates or money back.
                                Now then I've been a member for nine years and a user of the forum for a lot longer. I've never caused trouble in the past but I'm absolutely furious at present. I am definitely not renewing my membership unless there is vote for an A GM the management of the club are not listening to the members one bit , I feel sorry for committee members of the past as I'm very sorry to say especially to Jeff as I don't have any faith in them now
                                russ can I suggest that you post your current issues with the forum in the new thread so they don't get lost in this one please and we can look at them?
                                1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                                1989 BMW 316i
                                2013 BMW 320d Touring
                                2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
                                X