X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Yep.Quite a lot, thought the gearbox problem was due to no oil in, obviously not. Clutch arm is working ok, selector is working but the gearbox isn't engaging gears properly. Just makes a whirring/griding noise. I've checked all that i can without taking the gearbox back out but it seems that's the only way to find whats going on, I'm guessing its the clutch
    I'm sure that you'll have thought of this already, but thought I'd mention it 'cos it once happened to me....I was absolutely convinced that the shafts were properly engaged in the diff splines, but they weren't... it did exactly what you describe and I only realised what had happened when I started taking them back out to check clutch. If I remember rightly it was the long shaft...looked right, felt right, but was just missing the splines...worth another look maybe, before taking it all back to bits.. speedo drive should be turning if that is the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Yep. Three steps forward and two back. Shouldnt take long in getting parts off my spare engine etc but it will be awhile before I can restart on this car. Oh well

Leave a comment:

• carfix
    replied
    That's depressing. (no pun intended!).

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
    Car been fighting back??
    Yep.Quite a lot, thought the gearbox problem was due to no oil in, obviously not. Clutch arm is working ok, selector is working but the gearbox isn't engaging gears properly. Just makes a whirring/griding noise. I've checked all that i can without taking the gearbox back out but it seems that's the only way to find whats going on, I'm guessing its the clutch
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 14:10.

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Car been fighting back??

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    After seeing the oil probe wires broken and the gearbox not engaging properly I got a little pissed of with it. I wasn't sure if it was because there wasn't any gearbox oil in it but its now full and still wont engage properly, never had this problem before. Gearbox will have to come out again and i'm not sure yet if its the clutch or something in the gearbox. The was a change in the clutch in 1985 so I'm not sure if this one is incorrect. I do have another gearbox, probe and clutch so will be removing the spare gearbox from my spare engine and also removing the spare probe in the morning.
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 13:22.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    More going on , love new parts. Also put back the tray in the glovebox so thats tidy, I've also started to clean out the interior as it's got many parts scattered about. Will have to redo the gearbox next unfortunately
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 13:19.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    last split pin on then I found two wires broken while putting in the gearbox oil, getting brittle with age no doubt
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 14:12.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    More done today until the car pissed me off. Dust shields on, new exhaust on, also started the car up and it runs much better, and quieter
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 13:20.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Cam is spot on and checked, head now attached. All ancillaries bolted on and downpipe attached, exhaust to connect next then start it up, no rain today but bad light stopped play
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 23rd December 2019, 12:31.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    After resetting the head bolts and tappets of my Zodiac I started on the MG. Need the correct bits to start,, proper headgasket, proper book and torque wrench. The only way to do it
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 23rd December 2019, 12:31.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2860.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	329505 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2862.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	329506

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Well hooray for my local fabricator, dowels all done and in the head, I wasn't entirely happy with the ones I removed from the old head so had a couple made up, exhaust clamps also purchased, so if it ever stops raining I can put the head back on
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th December 2019, 11:44.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Can't continue with the engine till after the xmas break as i'm having a couple of things fabricated and they're on close down friday, so interior next
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 19th December 2019, 14:17.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Shiny stainless exhausts waiting to go on this car and my other project

Leave a comment:

Working...
X