Turbo Engine rebuild 20HC85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juanmacandel View Post
    Thanks Jeff, the problem is that my carb engine block y from 1991 and the turbo engine block is 1985 and the hole that transmit oil for the cylinder head is different between both.

żI must to use a head gasket with the oil hole oval or cylindrical?

The turbo cylinder head from 1985 can works with the block from 1991 with cylindrical hole and head gasket with cylindrical hole?
    You will need an oval hole head gasket as that will fit for you. You can also use your 1985 cylinder head and your 1991 engine block. As some later sumps had the sump breather at the back of the engine you may also need to use your old sump for the breather pipes. The sump gaskets are the same.
    I have a Turbo oval head gasket and manifold gasket available if needed and also a sump gasket, but not sure how much the postage will be to you and how long it will take.
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 3rd November 2022, 15:27.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Perfect Jeff, im interested about the gaskets.

Then I will say to grinder machine that they can use the turbo block for remove the old cylinder liner and put the news with the correct measures.
      They tells me that I must to buy the spare parts because they can't find them. At the moment I find the followings parts:

Piston rings: 4x https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-BHM1531
      Main bearings set: 1x https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-BHM1153
      Rod bearing: 1x: https://www.recambioscoche.es/oenumber/bhm1505.html
      Trust washe: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LFT10014

All the spare parts are standard because the crackshaft is ok and the cylinder liner will be new.

Let me know is all is ok

Thank you

Comment

I will confirm the parts tomorrow when I get back from work. The bearings and piston rings are the correct part numbers though, thrust etc I will have to look up. That is unless Mr diesel confirms beforehand

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          I will confirm the parts tomorrow when I get back from work. The bearings and piston rings are the correct part numbers though, thrust etc I will have to look up. That is unless Mr diesel confirms beforehand
          I don't see LFT10014 on the epc, Rimmers list it as fitting early T series and O series, so I guess it should be correct?

Comment

Thanks to both of you,

Also I need the eight bolts for the mein bearings and the ten bolts for the rods żDo you know what is his part number?

Comment

Original part number for thrusts washers are BHM1295, the same as an MGB engine and as above. 10 bolts for the bearings are 12h 4546, but you should be able to use your existing, 8 bolts for the cod rods are CAM 1365 (same as Ambassador), nuts are 13h 5872 superseded by CAM 6263 (same as a mini) , again you should be able to use your existing as none are stretch bolts/nuts
              Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 4th November 2022, 13:20.

Comment

So that means the trsut washers are the correct?
                The bolts and nuts are aparently ok but the grinding machine request me the pieces . If I cant find them in Rimmer im going to tell them that use the existents ones

Comment

I've got some con rod bolts if you can't get them from Rimmers (I do not have any nuts though)

Comment

The bolts and nuts are aparently ok but the grinding machine request me the pieces . If I cant find them in Rimmer im going to tell them that use the existents ones
                    Yes thrust washers should be correct

Comment

How did the engine re-build go ?

Comment

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay to update the project. The engine rebuilder mechanic(I don't know how to say it in English) took a long time to finish it. Today I'm going to pick the block from the engine rebuilder. After half a year the engine block is ready to paint. . The cylinders are news because I could not find pistons +0.25mm. The cranckshaft was polished and the block plane was rectificated to 0.1mm. The piston rings, main bearings, rod bearing and trust washes are new and standar. Now the block is already assembly so the next step is paint the block, find a head gasket and head screws. Someone know where can I find these parts? What paint code should I buy to paint the block?, when I bought the engine was red and I want to keep the same color.

Comment

Where can I find the part numbers for all the components? any program, book or database?
                          For carb reconditioning, will this item fit my carb well? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354410300...Bk9SR560qOmFYg
                          Last edited by Juanmacandel; 18th May 2023, 13:10.

Comment

Where can I find the part numbers for all the components? any program, book or database?
                            For carb reconditioning, will this item fit my carb well? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354410300...Bk9SR560qOmFYg
                            Yes that's a turbo carb rebuild kit, head bolts are reusable and not stretch bolts so use your existing.
                            Good to hear its getting there

Comment

The bolts are very rusty. There is no new replacement?
                              I have located a full engine rebuild gasket AJUSA 50042900 https://www.megataller.com/juego-jun...ajusa-50042900

Does the kit have the correct head gasket for my 20HC85 engine?

Jeff, where do you search the parts number? Exist any program or web page?

Comment

The bolts are very rusty. There is no new replacement?
                                I have located a full engine rebuild gasket AJUSA 50042900 https://www.megataller.com/juego-jun...ajusa-50042900

Does the kit have the correct head gasket for my 20HC85 engine?

Jeff, where do you search the parts number? Exist any program or web page?
                                I would say that gasket set isn't for a Turbo but a normal carb. Turbo gaskets are fabricated upside down round the bores to a normal or efi gasket and are thicker round the bores. Efi and carb are about an 1/8 inch, turbo are about 1/4 inch. Also if you look at the manifold gasket turbo ones should have metal surrounds on the openings, that does not.
                                I've had to use my last headgasket set on my sons turbo so unfortunately its been used now.

For my part number searches I use an EPC cd rom I've had for many years.

New cylinder head bolts are close to being no longer available, they all go rusty but if solid enough can be re-used. If you put pictures of the head bolts up , I should be able to tell you if they can be used or if any need replacing. I have a few used head bolts in my spares but I don't think its a full set but all are solid enough and can be used

Cylinder head bolt part numbers CAM 1004 Short bolt (flat bolt) x2, CAM 1614 long bolt x4, TKC 7186 Bolt pillar (with extra top thread) x4, CAM 5108 Washers x10 if not attached. some of these maybe LDV now. If you can't get any CAM1004 use 2 more TKC7186. CAM1004 keeps coming up as a camshaft on a search engine from google and microsoft but that's the part number from my EPC
                                CAM1614 is the same as an SD1 from memory but don't quote me on it Bienvenue sur A.B.P. PRODUCTION, if you put the part number in this site they have 4 so thats the long bolts done or theres 15 here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384363193...Bk9SR7zwr4-JYg
                                These have TKC7186 but i don't know how many they have https://www.jfcnormandie.com/pieces-auto/rover/TKC7186
                                Try those links and that's the best I can do for you
                                Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 23rd May 2023, 14:23.

Comment

Working...
                                X