No announcement yet.

Modified MG Maestro Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three options, but only two that most people will take.

1. SKF explorer 6208 bearings (x2) Available from any bearing supplier for less than a tenner a bearing usually. Other makes are ok too but specifically the explorer bearings from SKF have a marginally higher rating. You want to specify metal cages as they can also come with nylon cages.

2. M208 bearings (x2). These are the same size as above but have more balls in them and consequently a higher load rating. Make sure you install the filling slots the correct way when fitting the bearings. These are a LOT more expensive and so rarely get used. I think the last set I fitted were about £60 per bearing.

The third option requires machining bearings and shims to fit so is beyond most people (including me before you ask!)
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• For what it is worth the other bearings rarely fail (other than the input shaft one getting noisy), so only replace anything that actually needs doing and don't get hung up about metal caged bearings for all the others - the cages in these almost never break either. The diff bearings are the only ones you want to specify as steel caged items.

Comment

• I did 4 bearings in my box, but mine was U spec box some bearings different sizes, but like ETV said diff bearings are the ones that fail think them ones all same.
        MG Maestro turbo 437
        367 Bhp

Comment

• All good info guys much appreciated. I bought one SKF explorer 6208 bearing but I don't seem to be able to find another of the 'explorer' type. It would be great if someone could link to one.

cheers

mike

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

• It would be great if someone could link to one.

cheers

mike...

Comment

• These are the high load type:
              http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p13...duct_info.html

This is the standard type which is what I'd recommend using to most people. Available from a very wide range of suppliers including your local bearing shop.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p52...duct_info.html

Comment

• Thank you Dan - I have ordered SKF explorer 6208 bearings. I'm just going replace the diff ones and leave the others. I'm presuming no gasket but sealant is used for joining the two halfs of the gearbox together? If this is the case can you please recommend one?

cheers

mike.

Comment

• Update - Turbo Dynamics found that the turbine housing is cracked in my Cosworth T34 turbo. Their replacing it with a larger A/R housing/turbine. This is a good move as it will have an RS 500 compressor. The eaton m45 will spool it up no problems at all. Photos to follow ....

cheers

mike
                  Last edited by Mike Brock; 16th March 2015, 21:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
                    Thank you Dan - I have ordered SKF explorer 6208 bearings. I'm just going replace the diff ones and leave the others. I'm presuming no gasket but sealant is used for joining the two halfs of the gearbox together? If this is the case can you please recommend one?

cheers

mike.
                    Yes it is just a silicone flange sealant to join the cases together. Nothing special needed. Its also worth cleaning the magnet in the box when the casings are apart and be extra careful with the 5th gear on the input shaft as it commonly falls off during disassembly and it only goes back on right one way. You can put it on many others but you'll then not have 5th (or sometimes reverse) when you put the box back together. If in doubt have a look at the pics on my flickr account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/781830...7629659916441/

Particularly this one. If the bearing doesn't sit flush on the top of the shaft then the gear below it is installed wrongly - it is really easy to get wrong

Gearbox 2012-03-24 030 by E_T_V, on Flickr

Comment

• Thanks Dan - it'll be next week before gearbox gets some attention so all info greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Multiple cracks in turbine housing equals good excuse to upgrade.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Thought it was common for turbo's crack there? Was it not possible to wield it?
                          MG Maestro turbo 437
                          367 Bhp

Comment

• I was given the option Peter but I liked the offer to upgrade better.

Comment

• my fav word upgrade (any excuse for a upgrade sounds good)
                              MG Maestro turbo 437
                              367 Bhp

Comment

• To be honest I wouldn't worry about that crack. They are VERY common and not usually serious. You'll virtually never find a T25 without one.

Comment

Working...
                                X