No announcement yet.

Modified MG Maestro Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team78 creation below - my one will be similar...

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

• Some advice please....

First of all a possible bad sign - oil has some how got into the water jacket of the engine block. Probable cracked block or head gasket failure? Will's rings are fitted. Anyone ever experienced this before?

Comment

• Thanks for that mate, I would say more than likely head gasket failure. Engine blocks on these cracking is unheard of as these are quite resilient. Also how do you know oil is in the water jackets? Have you got the head off? If so it might only be where the heads been removed.

Comment

• Also, I just bought a new oil pressure switch for my turbo after it burst! Lol so I think I should have the part number for it somewhere, I got it from rimmerbrothers when I typed the correct number in

Comment

• The water pump was removed and black oily water came out Jake. Heads off now - can't see anything obvious? Low comp pistons and will's rings can be seen below for reference.

Last edited by Mike Brock; 25th October 2014, 09:58. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Oh I see, well I think that's it must have hadn't bit of a head gasket failure or head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave MGT View Post
                No worries....custom plenum nice!
                In the future yep.. It should be good for 270+ with the single carb for now. Then if I want more I will go fuel injection and new turbo.
                Had the car over 2 years and have never driven it.

Rattys old engine is being rebuilt now though as we speak
                AND about time Dave
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

• Mike, you absolutely sure that oil didn't run in to the water when removing the head? Oil has a habit of running out for weeks once it appears to be drained.

Ian
                  Ian Drew
                  MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                  MG ZT V8
                  Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

• I'm glad you mentioned that Ian as I'm clueless at the moment. Like you say that could be what has happened? The oil hasn't emulsified - it's just black thin water like oil? It hasn't circulated through header tank or radiator.

Comment

• Pressure for the pressure switch should be about 5-7psi I think.
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• Cheers Dan.

Going to flush cooling jacket out on wednesday and prep engine for painting ect. Hopefully get to the route of oil problem in the process? Whats on my mind is the stretch head bolts were re used on a engine block with will's rings inserted. Surely a no no as I was always told?

Comment

• I don't think the O series bolts are stretch bolts. So long as they are within the spec limit for length then they can be re-used. The presence of wire rings won't make any difference to this, it just improves the sealing pressure on the combustion chambers.

Comment

• It's just that I have information via contacts through my website to say otherwise Dan. Standard bolts are designed to be used once on turbo engines - good advice to keep in mind considering.

If - (and its just my opinion) head bolts are compromised - then perhaps gasket hasn't seated correctly causing the oil issues.

cheers

mike...

Comment

• The bolts are no different from turbo to non turbo as far as I know. That doesn't mean they don't stretch, but they aren't intended to be traditional stretch bolts I believe.

Stretch bolts are designed to be done up to a certain stress (often above the yield point of the bolt), and as the engine heats up on its first use they'll yield further. A stretch bolt has a very carefully controlled yield point meaning that the clamping force is set during the engines first run up to temperature rather than by the initial torque input (assuming they were tightened correctly). When you remove a stretch bolt from the engine it is longer than when it was originally fitted.

A conventional bolt doesn't yield in use, i.e. the length when new is the length that they return to when removed from the engine.

The addition of the wills rings will actually make the front right corner oilway more likely to leak. (By increasing clamp pressure around the cylinders you therefore reduce it elsewhere - assuming you keep the same overall clamp force).

Comment

• Going over the info I have at hand I shouldn't of used the words 'stretch bolts'. Nowhere does it actually say that other than >> 'standard bolts are designed to be used once on turbo engines'<< Remember we're talking about tuned engines here - this is what I mean when I say >> 'good advice to keep in mind considering.<<

>>That doesn't mean they don't stretch, but they aren't intended to be traditional stretch bolts I believe.<< Agreed Dan this makes sense what I have learnt from others and my own experience over the years.

>>The addition of the wills rings will actually make the front right corner oilway more likely to leak. (By increasing clamp pressure around the cylinders you therefore reduce it elsewhere - assuming you keep the same overall clamp force).<< Well described - this is what I see in my minds eye. The ARP studs will sort that out no end.

cheers

mike...

Comment

Working...
                                X