Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Well after 400 miles one of the water hoses sprang a pin hole leak and drained all of the water over a period on the A1 yesterday. The temperature gauge didn't move over half from its usual quarter and it looks as though the engine is knackered. Didn't notice anything till a loss of power. Headgasket has definitely gone with overheating and I'm worried about the block as the amount of water pooring out of the exhaust when turning it over and its not making the usual sound when turning over. With luck it's just the head gasket but I fear the worst with a crack somewhere in the block. Not Chris's fault as these things happen, to say he's a bit pissed off is an understatement. The car is back on my drive to I will have a proper look later today.
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 15th August 2022, 05:32.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Seems that way

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
    Well apparently the car flies along a 5,000 revs, so much for running it in
    Running in = not going into the red bits on the gauges

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Well apparently the car flies along a 5,000 revs, so much for running it in

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    All insured and agreed value of £10,000 now done
    Well the snagging list has started, HRW stopped working, power steering I know about, fuel gauge only shows 3/4 when full, speedo is clicking at 50 mph, exhaust need to be moved a bit and a tail pipe added or stainless made up with a tail pipe. Expecting a few things in the next two weeks as it needs a shakedown to iron out various things. Engine pulls well and the turbo is whirring up nicely though and easy gear change. He's getting lots of thumbs up driving to Sheffield so can't be bad. These are cool cars now apparently to the younger generation
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 27th July 2022, 12:55.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Looking good Jeff, good luck today.
    Thanks, passed and we'll chuffed. Struggled on emissions at the start. Supposed to be 3.5 max and was 10 at one point. But after a little adjustment and letting the car get warm it got much better. Chris will be picking it up later to drive it to sheffield and use it for a bit for a shakedown. Will be changing the oil etc after 500 miles and see what things come up. He's very very excited

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Looking good Jeff, good luck today.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Mot day
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Getting near to mot time now. Car started easily and moved out of the garage. Hand brake sorted, lowered the tickover, sunroof now working again. Checked all for its mot on Tuesday and all is working. Chris took the car up the road and it runs very well now, bit ticky on two valves so that to look at at a later date as will be a couple of other things after a few months driving. Namely the power steering pump that isn't working properly but will see what happens Tuesday first

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Tank back on, 3 gallons of fresh fuel in and starts on the button so maybe it was the tank. I'd cleaned it out anyway so it's now clean inside. Put all back in the engine bay, new breather pipe attached, tightened up the nearside bearing and put splash shield back on. Need to adjust the tickover as its a little high on choke but that's not a problem. Moved under its own steam back into the garage when we had finished for the day. Very good indeed and I've also found two NOS scuttles I sold to a friend years ago who's clearing a few things out. So will be picking them up at the end of the month
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 8th May 2022, 06:15.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Coolant pipes on, carb on. Turn the engine over for a while to build up pressure and the oil light went out. Connect the coil lead and...........excessive flooding of the carb. Checked the plumbing in the to carb and thats correct. Removed the plenum and fuel pumps out on the carb so possibly too much pressure. Replaced the pressure regulator and the same thing is happening, removed the carb and stripped it down, float is ok but checked the clearance anyway and a tiny adjustment.
    Connected back up and again non starting and too much pressure, removed the return pipe and the car started on the button and ran really well till the fuel ran out. So possibly the tank or return pipe is blocked somewhere, removed the tank in 20 mins, blew down the return pipe from the front and in the tank and both are now clear.
    So I'm not convinced it's the tank return blocked as I can now blow down it so will have to have another look at that on another day, looking like too much pressure so will have to find out why once we've put the tank back on.
    It's a strange one as it also points to the fuel pipes possibly being the wrong way round but I've never done that before and also checked agains't my manual just to be just sure so I'm convinced i've got that right
    The last time this happened there was a blockage in the return on my French turbo at the time, once I replaced the tank it was ok but this time i'm not sure it's the tank, or maybe it was and I've cleared it by removing it and blowing down the return etc
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 14th March 2022, 17:23.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Left to do, splash shields, connect the carb etc, coolant pipes , fill with water, and put petrol in the car. Then the usual build up the oil pressure and try to start

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    In it goes
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Then the gearbox attached, up and in the engine bay
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Sundays jobs, engine was a little heavy for us to put in Chris's car so picked up my engine hoist, pulled the car out and not moved since the engine bay clean in July last year
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 7th March 2022, 09:50.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X