Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Very nice! Was the old scuttle panel holed, or just a bit tatty?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    All was going great guns. Then I tightened the screws and this happened. Do wish hadn't done that, the scuttle isn't touching the screen so maybe I tightened too much. Finally fixed the exhaust but a little too late as the rear bumper has melted a bit. I hadn't finished the exhaust when Chris took it but its done now. Nearly ready for Chris to take it away again and he will have to claim on his insurance for the screen, this is also why I don't work on anyone else's car any more
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 16th October 2022, 09:21.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Little more done yesterday as I wait for a couple of parts to arrive. Scuttle panel replaced
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
    Looks great, another one sorted! I think Sean Turnbull might have some of those air intake hoses, not 100% sure that the ones he has are the right length for turbo, but worth asking?
    Good shout that so I've messaged Sean

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Looks great, another one sorted! I think Sean Turnbull might have some of those air intake hoses, not 100% sure that the ones he has are the right length for turbo, but worth asking?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Head back on, water pipe fixed, all running again and the engine is quieter now. Main pipe from carb cooler is knackered so I've let Chris try to get a replacement.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 11th October 2022, 13:49.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Finally had some time to get on with it, head all cleaned etc and back together, hopefully putting the replacement head on next week at some point
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Glad you got it out, you've done well to avoid needing the helicoils!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied

Ahhh...sounds familiar, amazing how much of a nightmare one little stud can cause...good luck!
    Finally got the broken extractor out, what a pain that was, drilled out and re-tapped the threads. Was lucky in that it doesn't need helicoiling. I put a smaller bolt with the same thread in it and tightened it up, that didn't strip the threads so a lucky escape there. Can continue on with the clean up now before putting the head back together some time next week

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Didn't work, drilled out quite a bit then used my stud remover which snapped in the hole and is stuck in it. So will get some weld on it. Bit of a pain
    Ahhh...sounds familiar, amazing how much of a nightmare one little stud can cause...good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied

fingers crossed!
    Didn't work, drilled out quite a bit then used my stud remover which snapped in the hole and is stuck in it. So will get some weld on it. Bit of a pain

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied

Unfortunately it's just below so will drill a small hole and ram a small torx socket in. See how that goes
    fingers crossed!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied

Ahhhh.. I forgot that you'd saved yourself a crappy job as well...If the bolt is flush with, or above the surface an easy(ish) way to get it out is to weld a repair washer to it, then weld a few bigger washers on top, followed by a nut. By the time it has cooled off the bolt will be fairly likely to surrender, still a bit of scope for things to go wrong, but I've done less damage with the welder thn the drill over the years.
    Unfortunately it's just below so will drill a small hole and ram a small torx socket in. See how that goes

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied

Erm, first thing will be drilling out the snapped bolt. Never like doing those
    Ahhhh.. I forgot that you'd saved yourself a crappy job as well...If the bolt is flush with, or above the surface an easy(ish) way to get it out is to weld a repair washer to it, then weld a few bigger washers on top, followed by a nut. By the time it has cooled off the bolt will be fairly likely to surrender, still a bit of scope for things to go wrong, but I've done less damage with the welder thn the drill over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Looking a lot better now and you've got the good bit to look forward to when you get back
    Erm, first thing will be drilling out the snapped bolt. Never like doing those

Leave a comment:

Working...
X