• Seems that way
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

• Well after 400 miles one of the water hoses sprang a pin hole leak and drained all of the water over a period on the A1 yesterday. The temperature gauge didn't move over half from its usual quarter and it looks as though the engine is knackered. Didn't notice anything till a loss of power. Headgasket has definitely gone with overheating and I'm worried about the block as the amount of water pooring out of the exhaust when turning it over and its not making the usual sound when turning over. With luck it's just the head gasket but I fear the worst with a crack somewhere in the block. Not Chris's fault as these things happen, to say he's a bit pissed off is an understatement. The car is back on my drive to I will have a proper look later today.
      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 15th August 2022, 05:32.

Comment

• What a lucky lucky boy. No damage except the head gasket, and the small pin hole causing the trouble
        Attached Files

Comment

• Good news there then, it sounded as though it could have turned into a nightmare. Have you got a replacement hose?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
            Good news there then, it sounded as though it could have turned into a nightmare. Have you got a replacement hose?
            No I don't but I can put a joint there. Would have been a pain in the arse taking the engine out again and finding new parts so very lucky no damage. One thing I noticed cleaning the head is there are now groves in it where the gases have escaped in between the bores and and round the edges of the bores where the headgasket has been so have to think that's now knackered
            Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 15th August 2022, 13:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

No I don't but I can put a joint there. Would have been a pain in the arse taking the engine out again and finding new parts so very lucky no damage. One thing I noticed cleaning the head is there are now groves in it where the gases have escaped in between the bores and and round the edges of the bores where the headgasket has been so have to think that's now knackered
              Has the head been planed before? it might be salvageable (depending how deep grooves are) I vaguely remember that you can take about 15 thou off ..

Comment

Has the head been planed before? it might be salvageable (depending how deep grooves are) I vaguely remember that you can take about 15 thou off ..
                Yeah been done before and the groves are deep between the bores so would probably need welding then skimming. I do have another head so will rebuild that and Chris is coming over on Saturday so I can teach him. I've also called on a good friend for a replacement head and manifold gasket as I've run out. So in all it'll cost nothing but time so more luck there

Comment

• I suspect that welding and skimming could be expensive, good job you've got good contacts Sounds as though disaster has been averted though! I wonder how difficult it would be to rig up a 'low level' sensor on the header tank? Did the digidash have one?

Comment

I suspect that welding and skimming could be expensive, good job you've got good contacts Sounds as though disaster has been averted though! I wonder how difficult it would be to rig up a 'low level' sensor on the header tank? Did the digidash have one?
                    Yes it does and that's a good idea. The fuel gauge only goes to 3/4 when full and the temp gauge didn't rise enough on the dash so maybe there's an issue somewhere there. Before replacing the faulty fuel controller the temp gauge went straight up to red so it does work but obviously not correctly now

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Yes it does and that's a good idea. The fuel gauge only goes to 3/4 when full and the temp gauge did rise enough on the dash so maybe there's an issue somewhere there. Before replacing the faulty fuel controller the temp gauge went straight up to red so it does work but obviously not correctly now
                      Maybe a faulty dashboard..I think there is one circuit board that is easy to change, but not sure if it has the voltage stabiliser in it, strange that the dud ecu got it into the red though. I thought about fitting a level sensor to mine & at first thought it'd be very easy as I'm using waterless coolant, so could just butcher a pressure cap..unfortunately the level indicator lump sticking out of the bottom is right in the way though, so I'd need to butcher the, not easy to find, header tank instead...or devise another plan...and that was as far as I got with it. Using normal antifreeze/water I guess a couple of electrodes at the right height might be useable as a sensor.

Comment

Maybe a faulty dashboard..I think there is one circuit board that is easy to change, but not sure if it has the voltage stabiliser in it, strange that the dud ecu got it into the red though. I thought about fitting a level sensor to mine & at first thought it'd be very easy as I'm using waterless coolant, so could just butcher a pressure cap..unfortunately the level indicator lump sticking out of the bottom is right in the way though, so I'd need to butcher the, not easy to find, header tank instead...or devise another plan...and that was as far as I got with it. Using normal antifreeze/water I guess a couple of electrodes at the right height might be useable as a sensor.
                        I will look through my spares for another dash, if so I will strip it down and have a look at changing the display and milometer over or it may affect his insurance as its on limited mileage. See how that goes and on a good note I have a replacement Turbo head on its way to me and will be dropped of saturday, my spare isn't in the best condition to be honest

Comment

• Got a bit done yesterday and the replacement head and gaskets turned up. Also fixed the hrw and seatbelt stalk that collapsed
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Took over an hour to get this headbolt out as it was rusted in, had to cut off the bottom and gradually move round and round and smack it with a hammer and drift and go again with plenty of plus gas. All stripped now and just one manifold bolt to drill and re tap as that came broken in the head. Pics don't show the full strip down. Will clean it next and go from there
                            Attached Files

Comment

• I know the feeling..the pictures don't show the full nightmare, but always nice when they surrender! Should be back on the road fairly soon I guess

Comment

I know the feeling..the pictures don't show the full nightmare, but always nice when they surrender! Should be back on the road fairly soon I guess
                                Not sure about soon and it was satisfying that I finally got it out. I have new stem seals on their way and in hindsight shouldn't have sold the last ones I had, carb cleaner should clean up the filthy head of old oil, will also clean up the valves etc but they look good. But I only have a few days this week then I'm away for a jolly at twinwoods 1940s weekend for my Mrs 60th birthday then off to France on the 4th September for awhile, so maybe it'll be finished late September

Comment

Working...
                                X