No announcement yet.

1984 MG Montego Efi with digidash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 mint condition radios also arrived. Although not the correct radios for my digidashes these are for MG Montego's and only £20 for the pair. Never been in a car. One of each will be fitted to both my Digidash cars but if anyone has an original radio/cassette for a digidash I would be very grateful and very interested in buying it

Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 4th December 2013, 17:36.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

• Where did you find them Jeff?
      MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
      Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
      MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

• Originally posted by edders1690 View Post
        Where did you find them Jeff?
        Ah now that would be telling Ray

Comment

• Did the digi montego get a decent FM digital radio? My original digi dash maestro had a twin knob am radio.
          The other option for these cars is a period high end aftermarket stereo such as a clarion or alpine. Some of these even from 84 had input jack sockets the same as todays iPod compatible units

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
            Did the digi montego get a decent FM digital radio? My original digi dash maestro had a twin knob am radio.
            The other option for these cars is a period high end aftermarket stereo such as a clarion or alpine. Some of these even from 84 had input jack sockets the same as todays iPod compatible units
            Was this radio, I already have the wiring connectors and they are the same as the display board

Comment

• No mine was the old push button MW/LW mechanical tuning thing. That one on your diagram looks very similar to ones you have bought. Can you fit a lead to those to play mp3s or is that a bit to modern? Think I read somewhere that they can be modified to play your 78s

Comment

• Originally posted by Russ View Post
                No mine was the old push button MW/LW mechanical tuning thing. That one on your diagram looks very similar to ones you have bought. Can you fit a lead to those to play mp3s or is that a bit to modern? Think I read somewhere that they can be modified to play your 78s
                What's an mp3?

Comment

• radio

mine [in the digi-dash] is the same as yours Russ,what model number should yours be Jeff ?
                  Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

• Those radios are a star find! They look brilliant. Dig out the brochure to see what was standard and optional fitment. Either way they will look like they were supposed to be there.

As for the huge interior light...have I missed something over the past four pages? Why does it have such a huge hole in the headlining for one?

Comment

• It was 25yrs ago I had mine so no idea what number it was

Comment

• Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
                        Those radios are a star find! They look brilliant. Dig out the brochure to see what was standard and optional fitment. Either way they will look like they were supposed to be there.

As for the huge interior light...have I missed something over the past four pages? Why does it have such a huge hole in the headlining for one?
                        I have a brochure somewhere in my Montego things showing the right radio just got to find it.

The front internal lamp was too small for the opening from the offset when the cars were built. When the headlining was covered in material it hid that. Length ways its about half an inch smaller but width ways its near an inch.
                        I've always felt it needed a larger internal lamp so I will experiment with the Ford one before I re-cover the headlining material. I know the Ford one is too long but I should be able to cut it down. When I'm next at my barn I will take a few pictures to show you what I mean Rich.
                        You can see from this picture that the front lamp hole is too large compared to the ones I made.
                        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 5th December 2013, 13:21.

Comment

• The radio, also a lovely picture of the front electric window switches. Don't know what number etc but i'm sure Simon will know

Comment

• New technology eh

Comment

• 2 band LW MW electronic radio/stereo cassette with digital display was standard for the MG EFi. Part number GCA640, later superceded to AJM1640 An optional extra was the 3 band version of the above which is more useable today having a stereo FM waveband as well as LW and MW. This was part number GCA641 which was superceded to AJM1641. Those GCA part numbers suggest Unipart items, although I suspect the radios were supplied by Radiomobile originally, until 1986 when Philips units were specified across the range.

On these early Montegos, a joystick balance control was specified as well DRC8900.

I am fairly certain that the connectors were the black and yellow Total Terminal Security multiplugs, which were freely available up to about 5 years ago then supplies just dried up...They are re-useable with new pins, however.

Hope that helps.
                              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon View Post
                                2 band LW MW electronic radio/stereo cassette with digital display was standard for the MG EFi. Part number GCA640, later superceded to AJM1640 An optional extra was the 3 band version of the above which is more useable today having a stereo FM waveband as well as LW and MW. This was part number GCA641 which was superceded to AJM1641. Those GCA part numbers suggest Unipart items, although I suspect the radios were supplied by Radiomobile originally, until 1986 when Philips units were specified across the range.

On these early Montegos, a joystick balance control was specified as well DRC8900.

I am fairly certain that the connectors were the black and yellow Total Terminal Security multiplugs, which were freely available up to about 5 years ago then supplies just dried up...They are re-useable with new pins, however.

Hope that helps.
                                Many thanks Simon
                                Don't think I'm going to get an original quickly so one of these will be used, the other might so in my black Turbo or the red digidash at a later date.

Comment

Working...
                                X