Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Pump back on and cambelt etc on, transducer has a crack in it and that's a possibility why it's intermittent so replaced, front brake pads replaced, carriers cleaned up and pins re-greased. Cars back on the floor waiting for fresh oil and a battery charge
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Had an hour to spare and as the pump cogs didn't move so I stripped it down. Bit of hard wax stopping it working and some iron filings on the cover, so cleaned, leveled off any burrs (there were a few) and put back together after lubricating the cogs. Nice and free now and waiting to go back on. Once on I will prime it first before putting the filter on so there's plenty of oil in it on start up
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 15th January 2023, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
    Definately not the best time of year for fixing things outdoors...unless you are young & daft, in which case you are putting aches & pains in the bank for later Looks like the special tool made it see thē light in the end tho...
    Will restart tomorrow and its always the wrong time working on cars but it seems I've always worked on cars in the winter for some reason. A couple of years ago I removed the rear axle off a project MGZT260 in minus 2.

The outer pulley I removed quite easily using that crank pulley tool but the inner cog took a bit more and I couldn't use the bolts from it as they were too large so I found a couple from a large box of nuts and bolts I have, I also had to use a large crowbar a bit at a time but its off now.
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 15th January 2023, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Definately not the best time of year for fixing things outdoors...unless you are young & daft, in which case you are putting aches & pains in the bank for later Looks like the special tool made it see thē light in the end tho...

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Oil pump leak started and that was a pain removing those, now removed and also the oil pump. I've also cleaned up the block face. Have to add a couple of thing to the new oil pump do I will do that tomorrow as my hands are hurting. I also hurt my back pushing my sons car back into its garage over a ramp Monday and it's just recovering. I must be getting too old for this now and this is why it's my last montego
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 14th January 2023, 17:44.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Well would you believe it.
    I had to move the car out of its council garage yesterday as the locking door needs repairing and two guys in two council vans turn up to have a second look at it and they need my Montego moving out of the garage, starts it up and move it to the front of my house and the speedo started working again. (nice surprise that) After they had a 10 minute look at the door, said they will order another door as it can't be fixed
    Walk back home as the garage is only about 200 yards from my house, just get in and another council worker rings, 'come to have a look at your garage door'. I explained that two guys had just left but they still need a look. Walk back to the garage and they said we can fix that but the parts will need to be ordered. Again two council vans and two guys. You can't make it up and no idea what's going to happen now. All this was with no notification, appointment etc and luckily I had just got in from work. Five guys in five vans and nothing done as it's the second and third viewing of the garage door, that's about right for a council
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 12th January 2023, 15:45.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    MGCC new years day run today, so parked next to an old friends mg montego that won 3rd prize in the pride of ownership
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Car is running fine but as it's not been used for many years various things are starting come up.
    Nearside front brakes are binding slightly so I'm getting a squeak now and then, have a small water leak from the rad fan sensor, oil pump gasket has started leaking and the speedo has stopped working. I have checked the contacts to the dash and checked with my dash fast check, I've also re-swopped the displays in case this one was faulty as per the existing and's not the dash or connections. I have bought another oil pump and gasket cheaply as Sean Turnbull sells oil pumps and will fit that in a couple of weeks, water leak is an easy fix. Speed transducer was a little more difficult but after ringing around some old contacts I've managed to find two spares so I will pick those up next week. Once I remove the possible faulty one I will check the contacts to see is I get anything with my multimeter. As it's possibly been in situ for 38 years i didn't want to remove it as I just know something will break without a replacement
    I'm taking it out to the MG Car Club new years day meet so will sort these problems after that. The oil and water leak should last that
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 28th December 2022, 13:47.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Are you on the wrong thread?

Leave a comment:

• Skyliner1
    replied
    Was seriously thinking of selling #384 Maestro Turbo, even after spending a kings ransom on refurbishment, as not been too well, but just thinking i just wanted shot, but my other half persuaded me otherwise. Why sell it it when it is probably now, after the fortune spent, including a new headlining, probably the best, original, Maestro Turbo around.
    So, despite feeling crap took the MG to a local show this Sunday, despite the weather. If those present could have afforded it, could have sold it 10 times over.
    Not sure about the Skyline, not been used for a couple of months, but looking at £40K plusif i were to sell

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
    On the plus side, it is fixed now & if I have any similar problems on efi Maestro I'll know what to look at first. Very annoying that they reversed the connections.
    Yeah very much so, will be using for a bit so my son came over and it took him back sitting in the back of an MG montego with his parents in the front
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    On the plus side, it is fixed now & if I have any similar problems on efi Maestro I'll know what to look at first. Very annoying that they reversed the connections.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Cleaned and all back together and checked if working and it is but the top seal is perished and a tiny bit of petrol dripped out so I binned it but i do now know how to strip one down etc without having to buy another
    Had a second look at the new fuel pump as i couldn't understand why it wasn't sucking up. Added a pipe to a clear bottle of coke with petrol in it and connected to a battery. blowing air back into the container so connected the other way and its working now. The connections on the pump are the wrong way round so I sorted the wiring out, connected up the pump and the car started so I took it up the road without any problems.
    Finally happy days and i must be getting old to take this long to fix a fuel pump issue and i now have a spare on its way that I don't need. I will put that to use next year when It's time to get my sons facelift MG Montego project re-started
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 18th December 2022, 14:05.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    This should tell me more about the small plastic bubble and just read where it goes https://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/83FuelPump.html
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 17th December 2022, 14:32.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    As I had a little time I decided to strip down the fuel pump that was seized. There was also a small plastic bubble that fell out so I will research where that goes but I'm sure its in the inner housing somewhere. I don't yet know what that does. The reason it was seized is its full of crap as you can see from deposits of rust from the tank in picture three. Once I started cleaning it all freed up so I will completely strip all down, clean and put back together as the brushes are in good condition and it looks like only dirt inside. When I've sorted this I will be adding a filter between the tank and pump
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 17th December 2022, 14:49.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X