Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Pump was original Lucas 73202A same as a Jaguar XJ6. New pump arrived, removed the old one, put the new on one and now working but.................no fuel coming out. Added a gallon to the tank thinking it maybe low and still nothing. Pump primes and is working when turning over so removed the new pump and put back the old on so no spillage.
    Wired the new fuel pump to a battery, connected a pipe to it that i inserted into a petrol can and its working but nothing is being sucked up so completely useless.
    I'm now in the process of trying to locate an original fuel pump that should have more oomph and I've now found one so when that gets here we shall see how that goes. The last pump I bought from this company I put on to my sons car and that's working fine so no idea atm
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 17th December 2022, 14:36.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
    Fast checks probably saved you a lot of time there, pretty much straight down the line to the guilty party without having to test everything en route. Your link could save others a bit of time too, there seem to be a lot of pumps that sound as if they are right, but don't last...
    No idea how old the pump is so if original it's not too bad. I've bought pumps of those a few times now and never a problem. Yeah these Fast Checks do work and does save a lot of guess work
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 17th December 2022, 14:35.

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Fast checks probably saved you a lot of time there, pretty much straight down the line to the guilty party without having to test everything en route. Your link could save others a bit of time too, there seem to be a lot of pumps that sound as if they are right, but don't last...

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    When you can't find your multimeter you have to use other things. When I attached this to the pump connections, power is getting to the pump as the tester lights up when priming and turning over. Even after a tap or two with a hammer the pump is still seized
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    On it today as I don't have any work. Plugged the fast check in and all's as it should be. Tested the main relay and that's clicking, checked the fuel relay and nothing, swopped over the relays and still the same. Removed the covers on the fuel pump and connected to a battery and the pump has seized, buggar so now bought another and will wait for that to arrive, possibly after christmas due to the postal strikes and the time of year. This it the correct pump incase anyone wants in the future https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110489807832

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Battery was a bit low after pushing it and using the starter to go up hill but the fuel relays found today, fitted and............... nothing, still no fuel so will have to get back under the car friday and check all using my Fast check before anything else after re-charging the battery
    Buggar and it's cold now
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 9th December 2022, 12:14.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    That sorted, don't want to do that again, these are replacements from a company who re-made them but they don't fit as well as the originals
    After it set I took it up the road and it died on me after 5 miles on the way home. Luckily I managed to push it home with a neighbours help.
    Fuel issue as it fires up then dies so I have to assume its one of the relays. Will find a replacement in my spares over next week as i'm pissed off with the car atm
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 3rd December 2022, 13:16.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
    I've got all of this to look forward to still ha ha ha! Looking good though...
    Good luck with that lol

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    I've got all of this to look forward to still ha ha ha! Looking good though...

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    All out and started a clean up ready for new trims going back on. I'm not too sure about the nearside as those are very stuck in so I will leave that side as its not leaking and i don't want to push my luck. Luckily only surface rust on the centre metal part
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 1st December 2022, 12:28.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Rear quarter trims are cracked and have a small leak on the joint at the top so removed the offside. I don't like doing these jobs as some of the trim is stuck fast but all out. Thanks for the trims John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 1st December 2022, 11:51.

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    It seems as though it is pleased to be back on the road! Good job the mileage wasn't shown on mot, it'd play havoc with insurance if you did 30k in a week

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    While searching for a water pipe for a friend I found the original dash that I though was the one partially stripped, that was an unexpected result.
    As the mileometer still wasn't working correctly I stripped down again this dash that had developed a fault when I last stripped it down a few years ago now, re-cleaned and checked all connections. Took out what I think is a faulty mileage part on the dash that I put in the car when the original wouldn't work properly and it sprang into life and the mileometer is now working correctly after taking it up the road for 3 miles. This dash has an extra 30k miles on it as mileage is stored in the memory which I had forgotten about but isn't a problem as my MOT says mileage not displayed.
    The dash still says only two or three segments of fuel but it does now go up to the top of the orange segments when turning the ignition on then goes back down so its getting there slowly.
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 22nd November 2022, 10:03.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Now taxed and being used, I've also set the dash to display everything and the fuel gauge lights up with all segments so I have to believe its the sender.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    This is my spare but looking back through this thread i noticed the fuel level was still at two bars when I had this one plugged in so it must be the sender stuck, as there's £50 of fuel in it I will have use it and carry a petrol can when it runs out before changing the sender
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th November 2022, 14:44.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X