Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Decided rightly or wrongly today to keep my project MGZT260 and sell on my last MG Montego, this car when I've finished it. After that I will slowly be clearing the spares I have left over the summer and be moving out of Montego ownership. I still have both my sons MG Montegos to finish so will be working on them for a time yet

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Well that was a lucky find, searching through my spares for something for my project V8 I found 6 white door card clips in a box marked.......door clips. So I can now attach the last rear door card and fix the drivers expanded door. Future happy days then

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Found the parts I needed to carry on, new jubilee clips and a spare fuel return pipe as I'm sure it's a blockage in the fuel return so will connect and put the return pipe in to an empty container for now, pulled the car out yesterday thinking I will at least have a mornings work on it and the heavens opened up with snow then rain, so pushed the car back in the garage. Hoping to carry on tomorrow morning before the V8 gets here. Doesn't need too much more now. 2 doors cards need finishing off, drivers expanded so is catching the pillar when I open it and the osr I've yet to attach. Should be also to sort those without too much hassle. Once I've done those, fixed the broken tab on the HRW and get it running which is what I'm concentrating on, it's near ready for an MOT after a major clean up and polish.
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 5th December 2020, 13:09.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Well I bought the v8 so that's two I have now. Needs a bit of work but nothing can't handle. Got it cheap and included delivery next Sunday
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by carfix View Post
    It's a pain when you can't fathom out what's going on. Currently having a problem tracing a non start on the wife's Renault Clio. It's been super reliable since new in 1999.

Will turn over on the starter but nothing after that. Battery fully charged. Argh!! (This all started when we had a morning frost two days ago, coincidence? )
    Is it sparking, fuel getting through?
    Fitted the rear seat pull so that works properly now. Connected a new fuel pump and nothing coming through, so reconnected the old one and now fuel comes through so might be low as I still had the car in the air so put another gallon in it and put back on the floor. Still struggling to start so poured a little petrol into the bores and started up straight away and managed to keep it going. Sounds as though firing on three so after checking all plugs were sparking I connected up a spare fuel ecu. Started up better and got it running sort of, then improved a lot as it warmed up. Next thing fuel started to spill out of the fuel rail connections and fuel filter so too much pressure. I hadn't touched the rail and everything was tight, the fuel filter I had put the original clamps back on. Fitted a NOS pressure regulator and the rail stopped leaking but still coming out of the filter connections so a pair of jubilee clips to buy next, just hoping this has cured the problem and the return isn't blocked as that's possibly the next thing once I've sorted the filter leaks.
    Be a couple of days before the next installment as working over the weekend and some of next week, also having a look at a possible MGZT V8 project tomorrow. See how that goes
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 27th November 2020, 14:16.

Leave a comment:

• carfix
    replied
    It's a pain when you can't fathom out what's going on. Currently having a problem tracing a non start on the wife's Renault Clio. It's been super reliable since new in 1999.

Will turn over on the starter but nothing after that. Battery fully charged. Argh!! (This all started when we had a morning frost two days ago, coincidence? )

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Engine bay all now back in, air intake pipe and my fabricated oil pipe insulation. It's not immaculate like my red MG Montego but it's good enough for me. Fully charged battery and not starting. Sparking away like mad but a fuel issue. It's trying very hard to start up, primes etc but not enough fuel going into the bores so will be changing the fuel pump also tomorrow and see what that does. It's not the fuel relays as they're both working so will try changing the pump. Been like this since I got it back from the bodyshop so I've no idea atm what they did to it. They knackered the starter motor somehow so maybe they knackered the fuel pump as it's not run properly since I got it back
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 26th November 2020, 12:02.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Finished sorting the surface rust on my Consul, sorting a few things on my ZT V8 and Zodiac, so I'm back on to this car for awhile. Montego badge now on the car, sorting the broken rear seat pull and new old stock part going on tomorrow with luck as I couldn't find it till I got back home.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 26th November 2020, 11:40.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    All near ready to try aaaaaaaand flat battery, buggar
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 7th November 2020, 12:10.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Starting to sort the oil pipe insulation as that's soaked in old oil
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    That's much better, and another layer of red paint before the rain came and I had to go to work. Should clean up a treat when I give it another rub down. It's not going to be as clean as my red MG Montego but at least I won't get covered in oil everytime I open the bonnet
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 29th October 2020, 11:20.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    More done over the past few days, Engine block now has 3 coats of paint but before I put the final coat on I just had to do something about the black cylinder head as I don't like it. black paint now slowly being removed back to the original alloy colour. Oil breather now back on, thermostat and cover now on, cleaned expansion tank also now on, the amount of rust in it was unreal but its clean now. Also cleaned up and ready to put back on is the washer bottle after I clean up the back of the engine bay. Distributor I've also removed and ready to replaced with a new one from my spares as it's a bit knackered
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 28th October 2020, 13:33.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Today was cleaning day as the engine and bay are covered in old oil and I'm getting oily each time I open the bonnet. First coat of red engine paint on, NOS Radiator on, Replacement fuel filter on. Removed the expansion tank, washer bottle, and air filter housing for cleaning and painting. Unfortunately an oil pipe broke, breather pipe junction fell apart, thermostat housing top small pipe broke in half. I have replacement for the thermostat housing top and will fit that at a later date. Luckily the thermostat top bolts came out with any problems, but I will clean up the threads before putting back on
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th October 2020, 14:08.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    More done today, 3 door cards on, new speakers all working, steering column surround back on, original digital display back in the car, and back to 54,000 miles. Rear seat bolsters in, did the same to the drivers side door mirror to a new one, both are now on the car. Just need to find 2 rear door brackets somewhere in my spares to put the last door card on then the interior is finished. Also managed to get a second radiator that's being modified from an MGF one
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 15th September 2020, 14:48.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Many thanks dave, correct part numbered early radiator for my car. 36 years old and looking near new. Happy days
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X