No announcement yet.

Black 1984 MG Montego efi with digital dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found the parts I needed to carry on, new jubilee clips and a spare fuel return pipe as I'm sure it's a blockage in the fuel return so will connect and put the return pipe in to an empty container for now, pulled the car out yesterday thinking I will at least have a mornings work on it and the heavens opened up with snow then rain, so pushed the car back in the garage. Hoping to carry on tomorrow morning before the V8 gets here. Doesn't need too much more now. 2 doors cards need finishing off, drivers expanded so is catching the pillar when I open it and the osr I've yet to attach. Should be also to sort those without too much hassle. Once I've done those, fixed the broken tab on the HRW and get it running which is what I'm concentrating on, it's near ready for an MOT after a major clean up and polish.
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 5th December 2020, 13:09.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

• Well that was a lucky find, searching through my spares for something for my project V8 I found 6 white door card clips in a box marked.......door clips. So I can now attach the last rear door card and fix the drivers expanded door. Future happy days then

Comment

• Decided rightly or wrongly today to keep my project MGZT260 and sell on my last MG Montego, this car when I've finished it. After that I will slowly be clearing the spares I have left over the summer and be moving out of Montego ownership. I still have both my sons MG Montegos to finish so will be working on them for a time yet

Comment

• Jeff, definitely the end of an era when that happens. I for one have really got a lot out of your great restoration threads and wise advice, freely given, as I am certain others have too.
          I am sure this last Montego won't hang around for long once it is on sale.

Nick

Comment

• It'll be awhile yet nick

Comment

• Finally back on it, Petrol flap opening sorted, door cards all finished now and tackling the non running. Put the jubilee clips on the car and put a donor fuel pipe into a coke bottle and found another leak so sorted that. The car started and revved freely for about 5 mins then wouldn't tick over. The fuel going into the coke bottle looked like thick urine so the fuel is also off in the tank. I also removed the crank sensor and cleaned it after that I connected up the return back into the tank and ran for a while the car wouldn't tick over again and starting to backfire Then I noticed water dripping out of the throttle body so I removed it, inside the whole thing was covered in black soot and black goo so I started to clean it and discovered a problem
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 6th March 2021, 14:36.

Comment

• Spot the problem, the throttle body water blank has rotted out, luckily I have a spare but the potentiometer control has siezed in the housing and it snapped getting it out of the old one. I'm not sure atm if I have another potentiometer or throttle body somewhere so will have to search. There are two part numbers but both are the same thing, This one WZX1527 has poxidrive bolts and this one MKG10001 has allen bolts. Onwards and upwards
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 6th March 2021, 15:50.

Comment

• Well that's a bummer, no spare throttle body or potentiometer, and I used to have loads of them lying about. Got a couple of leads on NOS and will see how that pans out

Comment

• Well I found a few of NOS ones in the end, one in Italy, couple more in Europe, another in Nottingham, Burlen also list one and one at John Wilcox in Wickwar using both part numbers. So after a long chat with John a new one is on its way up to me, always a long chat with John. Happy days. Next i will have to drain the old stale fuel and put fresh in it
                    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 8th March 2021, 13:47.

Comment

• Arrived and very pleased as I can carry on
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Excellent work got to love new old stock, if any consultation are maestro not starting again. Ran perfectly other week . Oh well ,
                        still love it.
                        Alan

Comment

• After working on my project MGZT V8, Ford Zodiac, Ford Consul, my other MGZT V8 and my wifes MGTF which all had problems during the month I finally should have time to spend on this car some time next week.
                          Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 16th April 2021, 18:24.

Comment

• Blimey a few months ago, if it doesn't rain I will be draining the gone off petrol and restarting the this project tomorrow as i have a few days free time .

Comment

• After it seems like months away, funerals, holidays, weddings/anniversaries, got covid, other things and after selling my project MGZT V8, re-building the complete rear subframe and suspension ect from my MGZT cdti, sorting all the shock absorber bushes on my Jag, re-building the complete rear subframe suspension etc and removal of the inlet manifold on my MGZTV8. Luckily or not the inlet replacement from America won't be here for a while.

Visiting the club stand at the NEC etc, ta for the tickets Tanya, has given me a needed kick up the arse on this car. I should now have more time to devote to this project and get it finished and sell it on. At some point next week I will remove all the stale fuel from the tank and go on from there, though I have been saying that for awhile now. I've not been on properly for a while only helping others with various things outside of the site, guys in Malta, South Africa, Australia , New Zealand, Canada and of course the UK. This forum is such a wealth of information on these cars, so if I've missed something, buying/selling I'm sorry but life gets in the way.
                              Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 20th November 2021, 15:21.

Comment

• Sounds like a busy schedule and a mix of good and bad there. Sorry I missed you at NEC, but on the other hand the more time you spend catching up, the less time you have to see the show (the retired Perkins engineer had a massive hole punched in his show schedule when he dropped by ha ha ha!). Looking forward to seeing the next chapter in this story anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X